No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano or Scandi or? - ID = Whitefriars patt. 9657  (Read 1746 times)

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Murano or Scandi or? - ID = Whitefriars patt. 9657
« on: January 28, 2006, 09:24:09 PM »
Hi,
It was very cold today so the Boots were very quiet and the bargains very few and far between. I don't know why I call them bargains as I travel about 70 miles each Saturday which costs me quite a bit in petrol I  can tell you  :x  but I just luv the chase :evil:
Anyway i did manage to buy one nice little cased item for a couple of Pounds but I am not sure if it is Murano or Scandi, I hope someone can assist. :)  
http://i1.tinypic.com/ms2mwz.jpg
It measures a fraction over 5" tall and about 3" at it's widest. The picture was taken under room lighting and is a little on the warm side showing little in the way of contrast. the bse is smooth flat.
Cheers,
Bryn (not Brian)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Murano or Scandi or?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 09:43:32 PM »
Hi.

It's Whitefriars patt. 9657

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Murano or Scandi or?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 09:48:42 PM »
Hi Nik,
Wow :!:  :!:  is it, I always seem to associate Whitefriars with that inverted pontil mark. That's a nice suprise :D
Thanks very much, I might just brave the elements again tomorrow now, I was going to have a lie in.
Cheers,
Bryn (not Brian)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Murano or Scandi or?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 11:24:57 PM »
The inverted pontil thing is mostly just a myth perpetuated by dealers and eBayers trying to push non-Whitefriars tat onto unsuspecting sellers, I think. Some pieces of Whitefriars had flat bases.

You can see your vase here:

http://www.whitefriars.com/catalogues/contents.php?id=821

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Murano or Scandi or?
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 08:24:54 AM »
Thanks again Nik,
I did find it on the Whitefriars site last night after you gave me the good news, I can't believe that the name Whitefriars did not enter my head as a possibility.
I did pick up another vase, clear, heavy, large with blue swirls yesterday which probably started life in a Heart Foundation shop but I may take a photo and list it later. i thought I could make out a signiture on the base.
Has anyone else noticed how much Whitefriars type glass is being sold new in these Heart Foundation charity shops over the past year or so.
Cheers,
Bryn (not Brian)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand