No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Skrdlovice - Identified Items  (Read 319721 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: My Skrdlovice collection is growing nicely...
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2011, 08:36:56 PM »
Robert, thanks for showing -- what a great piece! I hope to find one of those one day -- and I would gladly overpay for it too!

It is funny that most of the pieces I find (and want to have) at the fleamarkets and secondhand shops here are affordable for me, which means they usually cost between 10 and 30 Euro. It is rare that I see something at an outrageous prize (like a beautiful Vladimir Jelinek Skrdlovice vase the seller wanted 700,- Euro for ::))

Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2011, 09:46:16 PM »
Thanks Michael,
(Thanks also, to Anik).

Michael, I am sure you put quite a bit of effort into finding these bargains and they do not just fall into your lap! Well done. A lot of research and travel must go into it and it is producing ideal results for you! Collecting glass is a fascinating thing, as we all must agree; where we find it, what it is, what price it is, all these factors vary slightly and contain an element of luck. I have certainly enjoyed finding a couple of bargains here and there. We all have expense ceilings (and space limitations) too, and have to live by them..... Skrdlovice glass allows everybody to afford one or two pieces and more, this makes collecting it so much fun. Over 60 years to collect and hundreds of easily recognisable designs too... from 10 euros to several 1000. Personally, I will even defend most Skrdlovice baskets and ashtrays. They tend to fall into the lower end of expense yet many of them can be little gems, with elegant design and can often have been made with great glassmaking skill. I don't wish to enter basket wars (I know some collectors hate all ashtrays and baskets, it is their right..!) I do like vases of course, but I was happily contributing to this excellent thread and really forgot to post images after worrying about what to post... having seen so many great pieces on this thread.... then I just started reading the thread rather than posting...! So as a belated start I can post a few odd pictures:

A 1962 Jan Beranek basket, a 1952 Skrdlovice ashtray, a selection of ashtrays (plus one Andromeda bowl), and a small Vizner vase that I found at a large Glass Fair for quite a good price, at a large glass fair, buying it as "Bohemian glass," not specified further....

Robert (bOBA)

Robert (bOBA)

Offline vetraio50

• Members
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2011, 01:23:11 AM »
Many thanks for the images and ccomment Robert, Michael and Anik.

I went to a market here in Sydney on Saturday and bought a Berānek košík 5910.
I paid $25 ( GBP 16, 18 Euros ) for it but was happy to get it.
Baskets are not usually my thing either.
What I liked though was the subtle use of the colors and the double containers.
Prices are on the up here too in Australia!

I went to the catalogues and found that it was 1959 and realized that maybe my earlier post of the Beranek vase was 5902 rather than 5869.

What do you others think? The images in the catalogue are very faded in the 1958 section of the catalogue.

http://www.vcm.cz/program/exhibitions/glass/pdf/57_59.pdf

regards

Kevin G

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2011, 08:21:05 AM »
Hi Kevin, a nice piece. You can see how the family glassmakers adapted their designs without precious behaviour. My Jan Beranek basket is obviously related to your earlier Emanuel Beranek one. The pattern number at this time is somewhat unimportant, Emanuel was leaving and the factory had unusual students working there and the upheaval seems to have created some overlaps for the patterns at this time, so the piece is the same for both numbers for your vase. The number with the better image is the more concrete pattern number, the other was done during the disruption and was just made clearer in the later number, when the dust had settled a bit,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline vetraio50

• Members
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2011, 09:00:32 AM »
Many thanks Robert!

I am toying with the idea of getting a full set of a year's designs. A target, perhaps not so easily achieved.

Many thanks for your explanation of the interchange and the family concept of design development.

regards
Kevin G.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2011, 09:03:08 AM »
Robert and Kevin, thanks for showing -- all beautiful pieces (even the baskets :))
It is not that I don't like glass baskets at all -- I just have to put a stop somewhere...
Another thing I resist are single coloured pieces, I like to have at least two colours.

But I do like (and buy) ashtrays. :sm: Robert, yours are all very nice, especially the other Zertova piece.
My favourite Skrdlovice ashtray

BTW, Robert, have you ever found out the designer or pattern nr. of my big vase? After looking through the pattern books several times I am not much wiser...

Michael

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2011, 12:34:28 PM »
well done!
you do not need me more, I suppose :-)

Jindrich
www.cs-sklo.cz

Offline vetraio50

• Members
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2011, 01:25:09 PM »
I've had a look through the catalogues for Michael's big vase.

Is the height important?

5988 is 30 cm high
5548 is 28 cm 

regards
Kevin G

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2011, 02:41:39 PM »
For "hutni" - free hand glass the dimension is always not exact but can vary + -  2 cm and it still is accepted as a defined pattern
Jindrich
www.cs-sklo.cz

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2011, 02:50:38 PM »
Jindrich -- I do need you! :)
As you can see there are still many mysteries to be solved...

Without Robert's and your help here on the board, and your fabulous website as a ressource, I would know nothing about Czech glass.

Kevin, thanks a lot for looking into the catalogues on my behalf!
I think 2 cm size difference doesn't rule out any of the patterns I'm afraid...

5988 it isn't for sure, I have one and it looks different.
The Bohuslav Beranek 5548 is a strong possibility -- although the pattern doesn't seem to be exactly like mine...

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand