No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Skrdlovice - Identified Items  (Read 319794 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: My Skrdlovice collection is growing nicely...
« Reply #190 on: November 03, 2011, 09:40:24 PM »
Frank, did you forget to attach a picture?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #191 on: November 03, 2011, 09:52:08 PM »
Yup  :spls:

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #192 on: November 03, 2011, 09:55:53 PM »
Sorry, Anik. I wish with all my heart that I had some new Skrdlovice to show you, but nothing turning up at a price I can afford. I hope to post a couple of pieces in the next couple of months that might be familiar to you.  Also, a show this weekend that might have soemthing.  I did buy a Roubicek piece that I will include when it arrives.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #193 on: November 04, 2011, 05:19:07 AM »
OK, David... I'll be patient. :)

Frank, I can't help you with the lamp although I don't think it's in the early designs catalogues. I wonder if it is Skrdlovice?

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #194 on: November 04, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
Sorry I have been busy with drinking Pilsner Urquell beer with Jiri Suhajek :-)
This is not Skrdlovice piece, I am afraid. Let we for Robert bOBA for final decision.

Jindrich

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #195 on: November 04, 2011, 01:59:06 PM »
Ok, Anik, here we go... ;D (as long as I haven't misidentified my newest purchase)

Found this vase yesterday, opaque red thickly cased in clear glass.
I was totally uncertain what it was, but the base did look very Czech (flat and polished with nicely bevelled edge, and enough wear to make me think it has been around a while).
At home a look through the Skrdlovice catalogues on Jindrich's site didn't help in ID, but the Skrdlovice pattern books pointed the right way I think:

Pavel Jezek, PN 7927/22 (the vase is almost exactly 22 cm high)

Here is a link to the smaller jardiniere from this range at the Pardubice exhibition -- seems to me the exact same technique and colour.

But still would be great if our Skrdlovice experts could confirm my attribution! :)

Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #196 on: November 04, 2011, 04:01:47 PM »
I am with Jindrich on the lamp. (Drinking pilsner with Jiri Suhajek sounds like fun!) Though we all agree it is very likely 130's Bohemian origin, there were several factories in the region making similar wares, in the absence of direct evidence, attributing Skrdlovice is hard. I would equally look at CMS Krasno and others.

Rocco's vase does look like the Jezek pattern. The diameter has to be 10 cm, if so, it looks quite solid as an attribution- I have to say i have never seen it before! It almost looks too plain for Skrdlovice but it certainly seems that it is. The pattern book image of the curved area of orangy-red at the base partly persuades me as does the size of the piece, weight and base...

Robert (bOBA)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #197 on: November 04, 2011, 04:51:26 PM »
Thanks a lot for your comment, Robert!

Diameter is a little over 9 cm, height 21.6 cm. I hope that is within tolerance for Skrdlovice.
What persuaded me was the base -- sides slightly curved towards the bottom, then the bevelled edge. Identical to all my Skrdlovice pieces from the 1970s...

But ID from the drawing in a pattern book is surely not the most reliable thing...
I just could not imagine where a piece like this could have been made apart from Czechoslovakia. :D

And yes -- not the most typical or sophisticated Srkldovice design from that period -- but still a beautiful, quality piece (I am rather glad that the vase comes without the ring-shaped handles :))
And on the rare side I guess; or is it just that no one recognizes the pattern?

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #198 on: November 04, 2011, 09:28:50 PM »
Wow, Michael... I'm in awe, though I don't know if with the vase or with you.  Skrdlovice would not have come to my mind for this piece -- it's just so different, and so unassuming. How on earth did you remember having seen it, either in photographs or the designs catalogue?  Amazing.

I think I like it.   :usd:

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #199 on: November 05, 2011, 01:27:43 AM »
I wouldn't have picked out Micheal's vase for Skrdlovice, either. I'm impressed for the saem two reasons as Anik.

I've been going through the Skrdlovice patterns this week matching up pattern numbers to my Skrdlovice collection, and I realized how little of the Skrdlovice production I was familiar with, particularly patterns from the 60 and 70's.  I wonder if it's a question pf them not being in the Mark Hill's book. But then again, they don't seem to turn up in the Sypka catalogues either.  Are there a few pieces that were made in very limited production runs?

Michael. I think your vase is an example of the Scandinavian influence on Czech design (I know.  According to the Czechs it never happened, but clearly even in the 50's Sarpaneva influenced the Beraneks.). The shape is pure Scandinavian, although the colour is a little unusual.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand