No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Skrdlovice - Identified Items  (Read 319722 times)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: My Skrdlovice collection is growing nicely...
« Reply #220 on: December 02, 2011, 01:34:00 AM »
Great Jelinek piece, Michael.  I haven't seen any around here so I'm going to have to come shopping in Vienna some time.  And I see that Vienna is now the most liveable city in the world. Has that anything to do with the number of Skrdlovice pieces you have been finding.

Two little additions.  A comparatively late Skrdlovice piece by Hora from the period when they were beginning to experiment with cast glass, and an earlier piece by Palacek.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #221 on: December 02, 2011, 04:46:21 PM »
Wow, more lovely Skrdlovice pieces, the Jelinek is especially fine, I would like one of those too! I have the Hora piece but there are larger versions too which are of course desirable. I will have to write to Father Christmas for these pieces ..... In the Czech Republic towards Christmas, I have noticed they have seasonal traditions that are slightly different to UK traditions and I do not fully understand them...... In CZ, one popular thing is a Christmas figure called Jezisek, a "baby Jesus" figure who gives out gifts..... http://www.prague.net/blog/article/52/czech-santa Czech culture is full of fascinating things! No Christmas turkey either, but Christmas carp (fish) instead!! Hearing about these things has been fascinating to me as a British person. I will maybe have to see if hopefully Jezisek will bring me some Skrdlovice ... even though I live in the UK.

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #222 on: December 02, 2011, 06:07:45 PM »
Carp is eaten on Christmas eve (we've got the same tradition in Poland) as no meat is eaten on the 24th.  In his Picasa album, Jindrich has got some photos of what he calls the Carp killing holiday.  I always feel sorry for these poor fish, stuck in small basins with very little oxygen, while people point to which finned creature they wish to take home.  Some people take home live fish while others have the fish knocked between the eyes by the seller and take it home whole.  And in 'fancier' places, they'll gut the fish for you. You should see the queues to get fresh carp... sometimes it's an hour's wait.

Św. Mikołaj (St. Nicholas) comes to children with sweets and presents on the 6th of December.  On Christmas eve, we haven't got Jezisek, but Gwiazdka -- a magical star which brings presents.  

Sadly, though I've been very good, neither Father Christmas, Jezisek, nor Gwiazdka will bring me any Skrdlovice this year.    But it's OK. Next year will surely be a bit better.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #223 on: December 02, 2011, 06:46:34 PM »
Anik,

A sad world where goodness is not rewarded by Skrdlovice. If it's  any consolation (I doubt it), I haven't been very good at all and I'm not getting any either. Santa told me he can't find any Skrdlovice as someone in Vienna and another near Birmingham have cornered the market.  Santa asked how I felt about new socks, or a nice tie. At least I still wear socks.

David

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #224 on: December 02, 2011, 09:56:24 PM »
"More soup Skrdlovice, please."

David, who's cornering the market?  In your album, you've got 89 Skrdlovice pieces.  My favourite Austrian Skrdlovice collector has got half that... 

89 Skrdlovice items...  and a 'coon skin hat.  You ain't exactly Oliver Twist.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #225 on: December 02, 2011, 11:45:11 PM »
 :hiclp: Some great pieces...and spare a thought for us Aussies over christmas as we don't have a lot good Czech glass here...slim pickings...I only have 5 pieces... :thud:

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #226 on: December 03, 2011, 01:07:17 PM »
Thanks all for the nice comments on my Jelinek vase :)

It is absolutely my favourite Skrdlovice piece to date -- such a great design (and huge).
BTW, this time it wasn't found at the local fleamarket, but via German ebay...

Here in Austria we have the "Christkind" who brings presents (a child of uncertain sex with blond curls, wings and a white dress ;D)
And I have heard rumours that some piece of Czech glass may find its way to the pile of Christmas gifts (but no idea if it is Skrdlovice or something else).

Carp is traditionally eaten here as well on 24th of December...

@David: Vienna is a nice place to live in, even for non-Skrdlovice-collectors :usd:
Your Palecek vase is great -- have you wondered as well about the similarity to the Gabrhel Chlum u Trebone vase?

Michael

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #227 on: December 03, 2011, 11:15:27 PM »
Anik,

I told you that I hadn't been good. "Selfish," is what Santa called me. Anyhow, having the number of Skrdlovice pieces roughly equal my age is completely appropriate.  And keep your mitts off the 'coon skin hat.

Michael, I hadn't connected the Palacek to the Gabrhel, which I have in the same colour as you, as well as a slightly different version in purple.  I see some similarity but the Gabrhels are light and airy whereas the Palacek is very solid and massive.  Do you know the year of the Gabrhel design?  The connection between the Palacek and some Vizner designs is the more obvious one to me.  I certainly do like your Jelinek.

Kane,  I've bought a few Czech pieces from Australia, including a 50's Skrdlovice candlestick and a fairly rare bowl  I remember seeing a photograph of a big building somewhere in Australia with the Bohemian Glass logo on it which housed the importer of Czech glass.  I assumed a good bit of Czech glass ended up there, but I don't see much on eBay, Australia.  The seller Fluffysfunhouse used to sell some, though.  It doesn't turn up in antique stores etc?

David

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #228 on: December 04, 2011, 02:15:22 AM »
It rarely turns up anywhere, neither auctions, ebay, charity shops or flea markets. I have bought 2 of my pieces of fluffy who is in South Australia and the other 3 have come from Queensland. I keep my eye out though for pieces. The tango pieces pop up fairly often though, but I don't collect that!

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #229 on: December 04, 2011, 09:33:36 AM »
I told you that I hadn't been good. "Selfish," is what Santa called me. Anyhow, having the number of Skrdlovice pieces roughly equal my age is completely appropriate.

... and I thought I was prone to a wee bit of exaggeration. ::)

How things can change overnight...  I went to the market this morning and saw the Vizner 6823 I had been eyeing for a few weeks.  Originally, the seller was asking 380 PLN for it (about 85 euro) which is far more than I could ever afford or be willing to pay.  Out of curiosity, I asked him how much he's asking now.  He told me 300 PLN (about 67 euro).

He wanted me to hold it again and look at it, which I did though I told him I don't have that kind of money.  Gosh, was it ever lovely.  He said he'll sell it to me for 200 PLN (about 45 euro) considering it'll be St. Nicholas Day soon.

Ohhhh, the temptation of it all.  I started thinking that I could buy it and sell it for a small profit on ebay...

It came home with me.

When my husband saw it, he said it was beautiful and sparkly (shocking words, coming from him) and not to sell it.  
The Vizner 6823 is my St. Nicholas / birthday / Christmas present.  ;D   Who would have thought???

By the way, I paid 160 PLN for it...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand