No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Skrdlovice - Identified Items  (Read 319800 times)

Offline vetraio50

• Members
Re: My Skrdlovice collection is growing nicely...
« Reply #330 on: March 25, 2012, 12:17:14 AM »
Hi All!

As an update to my post earlier this month about a vase by A. Maresova.

I was wondering about the name on the catalogue which was hard to read. It only involves three vases: 5513, 5514 and 5515.

I trecently bought a vase 5515 here in Sydney. I posted four pictures of it.

I emailed Jindrich about the identity of this designer: "I have found the drawing, but I find it difficult to read the designer".

He replied to me:

Hi Kevin, seems to me that it was this lady:

Marešová Smolková Alice
* 7.3.1922 Hradec Králové (Hradec Králové) (Česká republika (Czech Republic)) sklo

All best to Australia
Jindrich

I then went about looking for more information on Alice Maresova-Smolkova.
I've not found much at all.

About the only reference I have is from:http://www.glass.cz/list%5Cframe.asp?co=hist.htm&pid=13&lang=cz

The gist of this relates to the period after 1945 with the return of Profesor Karel Stipl as head of the "Umeleckoprumyslové skole v Praze".

She was one of the former students of Jaroslav V. Holecek who joined with Stipl's students  Matura, Hlava, Klinger etc there in Prague.

The links between the "Umeleckoprumyslové skole v Praze" and "Umelecka remesla Skrdlovice" are a little unclear to me.

I've recently been looking at the sticker: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=45009.0

It lead me on to researching the UR idea.

Is the vase with the blue UR sticker a unique piece done by one of the Prague students at Skrdlovice?

I'm just tossing up a few ideas. As I said it is unclear to me. Is there somewhere I can read more?

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #331 on: March 26, 2012, 03:17:32 PM »
Hi Kev,
seems like you are becoming addicted to Czech glass like many of us here :)

If you are interested more deeply in the history of post WW2 Czech glass I would recommend the book "Chech Glass 1945-1980, Design in an Age of Adversity", by Helmut Ricke.
Most of the pieces shown there are not likely to be found by amateur collectors like us, but a profound and well researched book with tons of information about Czech glass making...

The ÚR piece you refer to is surely not unique (as I have got the same ;D); still the cut pieces seem to have been produced in far smaller numbers than the hotworked ranges.

In the Ricke book is a small chapter about the UUR: "...Evzen Jokl ... opened the Glass Cutting Workshop in Prague in 1954. Three years later, the workshop was placed under the administration of the Center for Artistic Craft (UUR). Throughout the 1950s and 1960s, three to five cutters realized the designs of Milena Veliskova, Maria Stahlikova, and Vera Liskova..."

Michael

Offline vetraio50

• Members
« Reply #332 on: March 26, 2012, 10:09:13 PM »
Many thanks Michael. It's the Ricke book then that I will head for. regards

Kevin G

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #333 on: March 27, 2012, 04:06:24 PM »
Maybe try to get it second hand -- it is crucially expensive...

Michael

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #334 on: March 29, 2012, 10:58:48 PM »
Finally, some Skrdlovice to report. The first is a Beranek knobbly, 18.5 cm tall, that I thought might be clear when I bought it. In fact, it's a very light blue/gray, which turns out to be very nice. The second is a Stahlikova/Veliskova in a slightly different colourway than the one I have already. This one is a lighter blue than the other one and surrounded by clear rather than a steely blue.  Very clean. This is first bargain priced piece of Skrdlovice I've had for ages:  $15.99. The third one is a Beranek bird, which I bought with the intention of calling it Anik. However, it's not nearly attractive enough, so another name will be assigned. It is ugly.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline vetraio50

• Members
« Reply #335 on: March 29, 2012, 11:20:29 PM »
Nice haul David. IMHO the bird's not ugly: reminds me of the Martin Brother's eccentric grotesques  the 'Wally Birds'. The other pieces are great too!

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #336 on: March 30, 2012, 04:07:25 AM »
David, great items!

By the way, the Beranek birds aren't supposed to be 'attractive' -- their wonderful charm lies in their quirkiness (or even 'ugliness'). It's a fantastic birdie.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #337 on: March 30, 2012, 06:50:03 AM »
Very nice, David!
I love the Stahlikova jardiniere -- I think it's even more attractive than the vase from this range.

I (have to) stay away from the Exnar birds -- they wouldn't be met with any understanding in my household ::)

Michael

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #338 on: March 30, 2012, 06:39:38 PM »
Michael, the bird was similarly received in my household.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #339 on: March 30, 2012, 08:00:46 PM »
Lol... as in mine. 

But they look really great mingled between some serious Skrdlovice. I just love mine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand