No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Skrdlovice - Identified Items  (Read 319839 times)

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: My Skrdlovice collection is growing nicely...
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2011, 01:36:48 PM »
I have a slightly different one to this in my collection but very similar and Emanuel (or Bohuslav) is what I would think for this one. Very nice indeed, it is bound to help make any birthday a happy one!!! I expect the label is gold not red? If I can find a more firm attribution re. exact Beranek member I will post again but you are definitely on the right track there! These large vases that are certainly not Jan Beranek ones, seem quite scarce by comparison generally... I know Andy on GMB has some in his collection, as does David Langhaugh. I really like this particular 50's colourway a lot and have a few pieces in it. In a group they look wonderful.... Happy Birthday!

Robert (bOBA)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2011, 03:51:05 PM »
Michael:

A beautiful birthday present. Like bOBA, I'm a big admirer of this colourway. I have it in a big piece by Bohuslav, but this is a sleeker piece that I like very much.

David

PS  My apologies re my Pavel Juda attribution. I was following the lead of the Sypka catalogue and Dusan who both attribute this style to Pavel.
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2011, 03:59:36 PM »
Thank you both very much!!

@Robert: you are perfectly right as usual, the label is gold coloured :)

@David: no need to apologize, I have made the same attribution here on the board not so long ago (following Dusan, I think)

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2011, 05:48:19 PM »
Michael, HAPPY and HEALTHY birthday!  And what a wonderful vase...  Lucky fellow. :)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2011, 09:21:10 PM »
Thanks, Anik! :kissy:
This was really a great present...

@Robert: now that you stated that these vases were quite scarce I started to look around, but couldn't find many similar pieces. As you said Andy seems to have one of them (http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19903.msg114192.html#msg114192), and David has one which is similar, but not sure if it's the same: https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove/CzechoslovakiaSkrdlovice#5496828316863782514
That's all I could find...

This Jan Kotik vase from the "Magic of glass" exhibition does look similar as well (but I may be misguided by the identical colourway): http://picasaweb.google.com/Jindra8526/MagicOfGlass2?authkey=Gv1sRgCMb6jOOoj8aS2gE#5424441996244528770

Distinguishable feature in mine is that the pattern may look random at first sight but is absolutely regular with three identical sides (took me a while to realize that).

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2011, 06:45:50 AM »
Michael, out of curiosity, how big is the opening on your vase?

I really like these sculptural Skrdlovice vases, though I can't quite tell them apart... To my eyes, the vase in the link you gave to David's album doesn't quite look the same as yours.  I look forward to see what others say.

In my album, I've got two vases (one topaz cased in clear, one green) attributed to Jan Beranek (5988) although they don't look the same.  The topaz one is a bit more wild whereas the green one has got much calmer lumps and bumps. Ah, the confusion and complexity of it all...  :usd:

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2011, 06:57:41 AM »
Michael:  I don't think I have a vase like yours. Quite a few of mine are also symmetrical, too.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2011, 12:46:33 PM »
So another Skrldlovice vase with a mystery :)

Anik, you are right that these vases are really difficult to tell apart...
The more common Jan Beranek PN 5988 vases show significant differences in pattern, so I don't know how big the differnce in other designs (for instance the Jan Kotik vase I linked to) may be...

Oh, and the opening in mine is rather wide compared to that Kotik vase.
But the overall look is quite similar, don't you think?

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2011, 01:22:22 PM »
But the overall look is quite similar, don't you think?

:spls:  That's exactly the problem (for me)...  everything looks quite similar and quite different at the same time. I'm wondering if I'll ever develop an eye for detail, or the logic to know how much detail makes a piece a certain pattern number...   

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2011, 01:37:01 PM »
All lovely vases! Just a quick message. Davids' I am pr3etty sure is Jan Beranek 5988. The Magic of Glass Kotik I suggest is a rare misattribution for Pardubice Magic of Glass. Kotik designed nothing like this in 1953. PN 5354 by Bohuslav Beranek in my opinion is a match for this and so too is Andy's vase identical. I have thought this for a long time.

However, I do not recognise Michael's vase for certain (yet). i would like to see a couple more photos though, even if it is hard to attribute the designer for the vase, it would be nice to see a couple more pictures anyway!

Robert (bOBA)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand