No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass id please. (carnival glass??) ID = Jeannette (Late Carnival Glass)  (Read 3324 times)

Offline colink

• Members
  • Carnival glass rocks
I bought one of these the other day at a boot sale and wondered if anyone knew the identity of it on the listing below its listed as depression glass?? Mine does have irridescence though?? thanks.
Colin
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMBER-Antique-Depression-Glass-Iridescent-Footed-Dish-/330559659403?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf6e41d8b
Item number: 330559659403
any help gratefully received  :thup: :thup:

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Glass id required please. (carnival glass??)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 07:08:17 AM »
I believe it is correct - it is depression glass rather than Carnival.  It could even be much more recent, I think Jeannette has been making this type of pattern glass off and on right until the 1970s.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 07:31:36 AM »
It's Jeannette's Floragold aka Louisa - usually thought of as "Late Carnival Glass". It dates from c. 1950s through to c. 1970s, so is not Depression Glass. Is it Carnival? Well - yes - but clear definition and distinction is needed. It is iridised, moulded and has a pattern. But it isn't Classic old Carnival, of course.  In our "Century of Carnival Glass" we place it in the section on Late Carnival.
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline colink

• Members
  • Carnival glass rocks
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 11:35:19 AM »
Cheers for the replies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand