No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Molineaux Webb - 2 early jugs, one in uranium  (Read 1668 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
Molineaux Webb - 2 early jugs, one in uranium
« on: May 04, 2011, 06:34:20 PM »
Hi folks,

Showing two Molineaux Webb jugs picked up on eBay recently. I dare say someone here was bidding on the uranium piece as it cost nearly 20 times more than the plain one :-(

The larger item matches number 422 in the Molineaux Webb pressed glass catalogue which would date it, best guess, between 1858 to 1860.

It shows three signs of being an early piece
1 - The S shape handle, which I learned recently from another thread is a style which died out circa 1860
2 - The raised square or rectangle shape is common in early pressed glass pieces and also fades out circa 1860
3 - The foot, which you can see is similar to the Robinson & Bolton 1856 piece in an earlier post by Roy. Also seen this style on a number of pre 1860 pieces

The tiny uranium piece is even earlier, possibly late 1840s. This may seem surprising, but after seeing some early uranium Molineaux Webb butters in the latest issue of Pressed Glass Correspondence, courtesy of Dave Peterson, there was clearly a phase from circa the late 1840s to 1870, where the Manchester glass houses were using uranium in domestic table pieces, as well as in the candlesticks you can see in a previous MolWebb thread.

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Molineaux Webb - 2 early jugs, one in uranium
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:40:22 AM »
Wow. Thank you. The tiny jug has been thought for a long time to be Edward Moore. I can update my website.

I would speculate though that it is not as early in manufacture in uranium as the Regina candlestick in uranium, as that is what they call canary flint, which is a really acidic yellow with barely a hint of green and weighs a ton (lots of lead) compared with similar items. Canary flint is also pretty scarce compared with the more greenish appearing, less yellow uranium glass. It seems that the quantity of lead (more lead seems to inhibit the hint of green in daylight) and possibly uranium reduced over time for many houses. The jug is also much better made than the candlestick.
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=13
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=921

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 10:47:09 AM »
The flash has made it look slightly greener than otherwise, but you are probably right that it's not quite as yellow as canary flint. It's my only uranium piece so I have nothing to compare against. So far with the Manchester uranium pieces I have seen, the dates of design are all in a range between late 1840s and 1869. Dates of manufacture are less certain of course.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 01:06:51 PM »
Nice pair of jugs!   :wsh:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 04:33:28 PM »
Yes, indeed Ivo - but Christine's needs de-flowered.....

:-[ :wsh:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 05:55:26 PM »
 :nogos:

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 07:10:14 PM »
I didn't put water in it!!!! It was a photo I took for the calendar 2009.  I have loads of pieces of uranium glass Neil, so I can make the comparison. The Regina candlestick is the only piece I have in that uranium colour variant

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 08:10:17 PM »
congratulations on the research Neil - and as you say, a nice example of the earlier method of applying the handle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand