No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large pink glass flower bowl with chrome stand... id = Sowerby  (Read 6704 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Large pink glass flower bowl with chrome stand... by whom?
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 11:02:11 AM »
Thank you for the extra info Glen,  I guess we can go with a Sowerby attrib until proved otherwise. :)  Adam, when he returns, may be able to confirm or otherwise this.

I'd certainly love to see this shape in Carnival - it's eye-catching in the pink glass so I suspect Carnival would be a real Wow!   8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 01:26:24 PM »
Quote from: "pamela"
Anne, looks very similar  - forgot to count the rays this morning - if there are twenty also in mine... returning to you tomorrow!
Thank you for your endeavours on my site - shall upload further ids from you also tomorrow!
Best wishes,
Pamela

Another one that looks familiar Pamela,

No. 00877 in Miscellaneous... this looks very much like one of the Yves Rocher pots I had some years ago (don't know about the candlestick though)... the pots were free with a certain value of order... I seem to recall I had a pot with lid like this, a shell-shaped dish, a swan, and a perfume bottle - all in this same pink frosted glass - some were marked with a YR monogram-type moulded mark. All mine went to a boot fair many years ago under pressure from my ex.  :roll: (Now you know why he's an ex!!!)  :lol:

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 06:43:25 PM »
Good evening Anne,
my Sowerby jardiniere like yours in the chrome stand also shows 20 rays in the bottom.
Yves Rocher? 00877: black fond photos date more than two years ago - I never really appreciated these matt and ?new items - they originate from the time when I was collecting PINK whatever it was  :? Do not know whether it is signed, but if you really miss yours - I place it to certain corner in my rooms as 'Anne is interested' (would be a gift)  8)
best regards,
Pamela
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 04:55:21 PM »
00877 Yves Rocher?: mine carries no mark at all - sorry!
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 06:57:12 PM »
I've seen a lot of stuff at boot sales etc. which from a distance look vaguely like Sowerby 2634 but aren't.

2634 salads and similar small bowls ( the ones used to make a fruit set) were also spun out to make plates.  Not in great numbers but certainly significant.  A few people went the whole hog and bought seven piece fruit sets AND matching plates.

The example shown in the first posting I'm not sure about.  All sorts of strange (to me) things seem to have been done to some familiar patterns after I left!

Adam D.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2005, 06:57:45 PM »
Some of the YR pieces didn't have it Pamela... about half of the YR stuff I had were marked. I guess it depended on who made then etc....   :wink:

Thanks for the offer of the pot - it's very kind of you, I hope you don't mind if I pass on it though. The YR glassware harbours some memories I'd rather not remember.  :roll:

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2005, 07:06:23 PM »
Quote from: "Adam"
I've seen a lot of stuff at boot sales etc. which from a distance look vaguely like Sowerby 2634 but aren't.

The example shown in the first posting I'm not sure about.  All sorts of strange (to me) things seem to have been done to some familiar patterns after I left!

Adam D.

Thanks Adam.  Nice to see you back with us. :)

Pamela who has the 2634 bowl and I have been comparing info about these bowls - mine is the stretched one Adam, and they appear the same basic shape except that mine seems to have been stetched up and out to follow the line of the chrome stand. If mine isn't a Sowerby pattern then it seems to be a close copy of one.

I wonder if the stand looks familiar to anyone?

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Sowerby bowls- compared
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 02:35:49 AM »
An update which hopefully adds some more to this...  I found a clear Sowerby bowl to compare with the pink one at the top of this thread.

The bases are identical in size and pattern when placed over each other. The number of ribs / rays is identical, and the pink bowl looks as if it was made from the same mold as the clear one, but then stretched as I suggested earlier.

I weighed them both on my new snazzy electronic scales and the clear one weighs 1063 g and the pink one weighs 1082 g.

I have side-by-side pics to show the similarities here (click thumbnails to open full size pics):

Clear bowl:
Pink bowl:
Bases side by side:
From the top:
From the side:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum