No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano (Fratelli or Barbini) Spider-Web Heart ??  (Read 6693 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Murano (Fratelli or Barbini) Spider-Web Heart ??
« on: May 04, 2011, 10:55:48 PM »
 :hi: I just got this today -- and got it for a very small price.

I believe it it Murano, but not sure if it is Fratelli Toso, or Barbini ?  I am kinda leaning towards Barbini myself, but that is just a guess??  Not sure what you call the pattern ?? like a Spider Web is all I can say.

It is about 8.5 inches long (longest point) by 7 inches wide -- and 2.5 inches high.  Spider web design of aventurine.  Think there are so tiny, tiny bubbles somewhat in it.  Base has good wear.

Any ideas on the year, Maker, etc or what the Aventurine pattern is called?  I guess it is also a heart shape too.  Pretty thing :thup:

Thanks in Advance... :kissy:  
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Murano (Fratelli or Barbini) Spider-Web Heart ??
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 02:51:40 AM »
What a great dish, Rose. I'm leaning toward Fratelli Toso or AVeM for it. The work is a bit like the pulled loop scale of Fratelli Toso and a bit like the a trina work of AVeM. The shape of the bowl reminds me of some done by Toso, but I'm sure anyone could have done this shape. It's a great bowl.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 07:43:51 PM »
I am leaning more towards Fratelli Toso (your fav, Rose).  It looks more like a design by them to my eyes.  Good find!

tam bam

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 07:55:32 PM »
What a beautiful bowl Rose.....isn't it wonderful the beautiful things they can do with glass? 

Patterns like that were called spider webs in cookery class. (We used to do it with 2 different coloured icing on the top of a sponge cake!).

I don't know who made it,  but I like it very much. What a wonderful purchase....well done!
Rosie. :sun:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 12:29:30 AM »
Thanks all for the Super Comments!!

Yeah, I am kinda stumped too.  Been hunting around on the Net here, and then I found a bowl by Barovier that was Kinda spider web too, sort of. I guess we will have to keep on Looking yet.  You know I like the Sparkles. LOL   I must be a Sparkly type of Gal  ;D

Thanks for the Nice Comments about it -- as I like it too!!  @ TxSilver:  I have not seen/Checked around yet about AVEM, will look at all suggestions listed here

I am leaning more towards Fratelli Toso (your fav, Rose).  It looks more like a design by them to my eyes.  Good find!

tam bam

I think Fratelli Toso stuff just keeps finding ME.......  :thup: :24: :24:

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 03:17:07 AM »
What a great dish, Rose. I'm leaning toward Fratelli Toso or AVeM for it. The work is a bit like the pulled loop scale of Fratelli Toso and a bit like the a trina work of AVeM. The shape of the bowl reminds me of some done by Toso, but I'm sure anyone could have done this shape. It's a great bowl.

:hi:

I had to look up the word TRINA as I had not heard that before. 

I wanted to see some examples of what that word meant.  Found this link here of Svazzo, so are these kinda the same designs (in the aventurine) as mine???? but going a different direction (the copper aventurine) ??

http://www.trocadero.com/svazzo/items/952576/item952576store.html#item

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 05:31:36 AM »
Rose:

Interesting piece. I've been trying to figure out how it was made as it doesn't seem like the conventional spider web that Kane shows. In those pieces there is a single ribbon of glass that starts in the centre and spiral out to the edges. The ribbon is then pulled in much the same way as fenicio is produced. In your piece, there are a number of ribbons of glass starting in the centre and radiating out to the edges. It almost looks like the ribbons go over the contours of tubes of glass. I can see why Anita suggested a trina but I don't think it's that either.

Here's a spider web I have so you can see the difference.

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 06:20:29 AM »
Rose:

Interesting piece. I've been trying to figure out how it was made as it doesn't seem like the conventional spider web that Kane shows. In those pieces there is a single ribbon of glass that starts in the centre and spiral out to the edges. The ribbon is then pulled in much the same way as fenicio is produced. In your piece, there are a number of ribbons of glass starting in the centre and radiating out to the edges. It almost looks like the ribbons go over the contours of tubes of glass. I can see why Anita suggested a trina but I don't think it's that either.

Here's a spider web I have so you can see the difference.

Thanks Laughaugh:

I see what you mean.  Your spider webs are more circular pattern than mine.  Yes, mine are like (crimped) ribbons spiraling out from the very bottom to (sort of) make a spider web -- BUT in a radiate pattern since they kinda shoot up.  Kinda hard to explain, but I do see the difference you mean.     

Hmmmm - m - m...... not sure what to call it as that is why I had to look up Trina than Anita had mentioned.    Maybe Spider web is NOT the best correct descriptive word I should have used here ???  :spls2:

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 08:55:06 AM »
These are lovely bowls....the difference appears to be that in Rose's bowl, the dark pattern line is in half concentric circles starting from the base of the bowl and like contour lines on a map, spread UP the bowl. the 'pulling' lines are then started at the base and drawn up to the top rim of the bowl with a slight swirl to the opposite side.  
Kanes and Langhaugh's bowls are made with the dark pattern line  in concentric circles (like contour lines) around the bowl, and the 'pulling' lines coming directly up from the base.  It is interesting how different this makes the bowls look, and with the addition of the bullicante, make for a very beautiful pattern.
I am going to have a look and see if I can find one like yours Rose as I think it might be the more unusual.
Rosie. :sun:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand