No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Open sugar US, UK or Europe?  (Read 7992 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Open sugar US, UK or Europe?
« on: January 29, 2006, 02:45:53 PM »
I presume this is an open sugar, but I'm puzzled as to where it originates or how old it is. It's very nice quality.

I think it's moulded, as there are seams under the handles on the outside. The inside, however as been rounded off, as there are no seams to be felt and no hexagonal shaping, just gentle undulations.

The glass is quite thick: 0.4 cm at its thinnest and about 1.5 cm on the points at the bottom ridge. The base has a pressed 36 pt star. It appears to have had some fire polishing - there are no seams to be felt on the top of the handles, just small indentations.

It's heavy 460g and measures 14 cm handle to handle, 7.5 cm across the bowl and 7.5 cm tall. There's wear on the base but no damage. The glass is what I call 'bright', no coloration.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 10:51:45 PM »
Sorry Christine, I was going to answer this earlier and managed to be sidetracked by something or other!  :oops:

It looks to me like a Davidson Chippendale sugar - see this image from a 1930's catalogue...

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3294
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline ChrisStewart

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.cloudglass.com
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 08:28:34 AM »
Hi,
    It is not Davidson chippendale - the tell tale sign is the arms of the star are all the same length. It is not a Davidson 283 piece either.

I think it must be one of the many chippendale look alikes made during the 20s and 30s.

Regards

Chris
from Chris Stewart

http://www.cloudglass.com - The Cloud Glass Reference Site
http://www.davidson-glass.com - Information on Davidson Glass

All images (c) Chris and Val Stewart unless otherwise stated

Connie

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 09:47:52 AM »
It is an American EAPG pattern.  I think by Indiana and only has a number designation.  I am once again traveling for business so don't have access to my books.

I have had this sugar and matching creamer before.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 12:42:01 PM »
Thanks all. I'd already decided it wasn't Chippendale, it's quite different in the flesh, even the glass seems different to any Davidson Chippendale I've fondled. I shall await Connie's return home.

Anne thank you for your thumbnail lesson, as you see wrestled with applying it to Photobucket,  applied it and written it down for future reference. We could do with having the sticky title edited to be more general - Frank, Paradise Trader?

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 01:16:12 AM »
Chris, I note what you say about the base star, and have considered this as well in looking at my Chippendale and Chippendale lookalikes.  But (there's always a but isn't there?!)...  looking at my copy of the 1930's Davidson  catalogue I see a trinket tray which does have a star base with equal length points... was that the only such star they did in this way or could there have been others which had the same bases?

I also noted in the Central Glass Works Chippendale catalogue no. 41  (dated 1919)  there are items with both the equal star and the unequal star base shown.

This is confusing the heck out of me as I'd happily been looking at unequal stars and thinking Davidson, but now that seems to have been blown out of the water by the 1919 catalogue.

Help!

Offline ChrisStewart

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.cloudglass.com
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 08:38:06 AM »
Hi Ann,

which trinket tray is that?

Don't forget that Davidson only ever made a subset, albeit a large one of the Chippendale range. We will be including a full list of styles they made in our next book.

Regards

Chris
from Chris Stewart

http://www.cloudglass.com - The Cloud Glass Reference Site
http://www.davidson-glass.com - Information on Davidson Glass

All images (c) Chris and Val Stewart unless otherwise stated

Connie

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 08:45:12 PM »
Christine -

Back home and it is the pattern I was remembering.

According to Edwards & Carwile ( :roll: ) it is Indiana Glass Company #165.  

I am hesitant to say absolutely because Edward's books are known to be rife with errors.  I always try to confirm any info in his books with another source.

The problem is that neither Metz nor McCain have this pattern listed so  take it with a grain of salt  :lol:

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 08:54:45 PM »
Quote from: ChrisStewart
which trinket tray is that?

Hi Chris, it's the one shown as no. 2505 in trinket set  no. 3 on page 14 of the catalogue which says it's the "first [Davidson] catalogue since Chippendale became an all-British product".

Looking forward very much to your next book - I use the current one so much, it is invaluable. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 10:07:35 PM »
Thank you Connie, I'll try and investigate further

Further investigation reveals a lovely carnival version of the creamer and an old advert for both in carnival look here

and a selection of names as well as a number Peerless Colonial, Colonial Panel or Swedish Style flat panel

Yet another edit interestingly the clear were more expensive than the carnival see here, scrolll down Butler Bros ad 1927

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand