No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Perfume Bottle Cleaning?  (Read 2605 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Perfume Bottle Cleaning?
« on: May 06, 2011, 06:45:07 AM »
Hi All

Alison wanted a older perfume bottle to use and I bought her a lovely little multi coloured sommerso one that I think might be Mandrozato sp due to the bevelled edges it has. The issue is it is blocked with old brown dried out perfume and I have given it a clean with water and hot water but still no go.

Any ideas? If anyone is interested in it I will post a photo but it is very small being about 2" 50mm high.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Re: Perfume Bottle Cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 08:21:53 AM »
Have you tried soaking it in warm water? This might help loosen it and you might be able to slowly scrape it. Would be time consuming though.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 08:44:31 AM »
I would have guessed perfume deposits are oily and soluble in alcohol?

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 11:05:12 AM »
Alcohol should work but if all else fails nail varnish remover can be very effective (it's the acetone in it that does the business).

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 11:28:47 AM »
 :hi:
A solution of Sodium bicarbonate will remove both grease and pongs.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 11:24:18 PM »
Have got it in Acetone at the moment and that cleaned the bottom of the bottle immediately. Unfortunately the atomizer is still not working. Will let it soak in it for a day and see if it starts to work. Any downside to soaking it in Acetone?

It is evidently the perfect size for a perfume spray as you can hold and spray it in one hand.

thanks all.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 07:32:42 PM »
Just an update. After having the atomizer part completely covered in acetone (nail polish remover) for a day and a half, I tried it and behold! it works. The gunge that was the old dried perfume slowly came out of the base and left a little trail.

I ran a fair bit of hot water through it and it went from a jet to a fine spray on the second go. We filled it with a favourite perfume of Alison's and the only thing left to check is whether it leaks around the top a problem we had on 2 others we tried.

Thanks all for the ideas.
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand