No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Vase  (Read 4408 times)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
Murano Vase
« on: May 06, 2011, 07:00:30 AM »
Now I know this is Murano because it used to have the red foil sticker to base but that was washed off unfortunately

Six pointed star base with six lobed prongs flailing out to form the bowl - blue with sommerso orange casing

Any idea of maker - I used to think it was a Seguso label but could have been generic - and date must be 60s 70s if I remember from the state of the label.

Flat polished base see photo

Thanks Adam

Offline ardy

• Members
Re: Murano Vase
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 11:33:53 PM »
Have a look at the labels file at the top of the Murano area it might jog your memory of it. Labels are one of the better methods to id murano glass.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 01:13:11 PM »
You know compairing my other labelled Murano - I'd say its most like this one except on this vase the label was more oval and had a serrated inner gold band surround.

Any help

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 09:09:08 AM »
This label is a generic Murano label, If it had been scalloped around the edge then it could have been Archimede Seguso but if it was like: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=102&pos=103 then it is just a generic label and who knows who made it. This is certainly not a design I have seen by Archimede Seguso but that doesn't mean much.

Without a clear idea of the label we are just going to have to see if anyone else has an idea.

Archimede tops my list.

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 06:46:20 PM »
The label was the same as on these lamp bases - scalloped edges - sorry photo of the label is so bad - I no longer have the lamp bases so can't retake the photo

Thanks Adam

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 07:52:06 PM »
Very interesting that is the Archimede Seguso label and those lamps are a standard of his although similar lamps were made by others most of them out there are AS.

If that is the label then you have a ID and I have a brand new form of Archimede Seguso to add to my mind for future searches.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 02:27:03 PM »
I hate to write bad news but your vase doesn't look like an AS vase.  Did you purchase the vase recently?  Sometimes sellers will take labels off of authentic pieces and place the label on another piece of glass.  I have seen this happen time and time again.  I do think your vase could be Murano, but as far as it being an AS design, I have my doubts. 

tam bam

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 07:29:08 PM »
hi Tami

I have never seen anything like this in AS either. Adam said that he has owned it for a while and the label was washed off and it was the same label as the lamps above and that looks to me like an AS label. I am constantly surprised at what AS made in terms of styles, obviously some more successfully than others. So many of his designs were extensions of Poli originals.

hope all is well with you.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 08:46:50 PM »
Thanks Ardy for reminding me to keep an open mind when it comes to glass.  :kissy:  Things are going well.  How about yourself?

tam bam

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 05:28:13 AM »
Hi Tami

Just got the final sign off for my big back op I had last Nov. I can start training and get back to scuba diving which is my main love after AS -- - - - - - and this board, plus you lot of course.

warm regards

Ardy
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand