No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help needed to identify!!!!  (Read 5996 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Help needed to identify!!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 09:15:25 PM »
I'm from Stockport, only been gone 5 years, but four of my children and 2 granddaughters still all live there.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 10:36:42 PM »
Quote from: "Lilian"
I love car boots, fairs and charity shops. I have a large collection of glass and a fair bit of pottery

I'm falling in love.  :lol:

Hi Lilian, not an expert but....

The cased glass has a graduation of colour, yes? I'm sure somebody on this board pointed out that this is a sign that it's Italian?

The other one looks like it has a Scandinavian face but has an Italian/Blenko style shape.  :?

I think I remember someone saying these Czeck cut glass sets are still being made today. Is there any wear to the base?  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006, 11:45:52 PM »
Quote from: "Tigerchips"
The cased glass has a graduation of colour, yes? I'm sure somebody on this board pointed out that this is a sign that it's Italian?

It's a pointer, but never a sure thing unfortunately. Holmegaard cased glass in this shade of blue often has quite marked gradations in colouring. For example:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Holmegaard-Blue-Cased-Glass-Medium-Candlestick_W0QQitemZ7386069175QQcategoryZ29563QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 02:23:15 AM »
HI

I love the cobalt blue vase with the face

looks like it has a Scandinavian face but has an Italian/Blenko style shape

Good call Tiger - I don't think Scandinavian with it being not being cased and it's just too wacky - I think Blenko or another USA company - perhaps Italian

http://sherril2.user.msu.edu/blenko/default.htm this is an amazing Blenko website - has all the catalogues and is better than all the books put together in my opinion - it's huge but you could browse through it - also maybe email the decanter to them for a definite yes/ no

Also try http://www.blenkocollectors.com/blenkodesigners.htm

Ref the first vase the main body is cased in blue with a white layer to inside, the stopper seems to be the same colour as the main bodies casing, that is something to think about and if I remember I have seen this style before but can’t come up with a picture right now – you say stopper fits, well if it’s Italian it should wobble a fair bit, this is how they were made.

Picture three WOW – is there anything not interesting in that shot – I would love close ups of those perfume bottles, the deco bookends (are they glass), and that large bronze mounted jug lurking to the left hand side.

You can put your Parrots, Bronze Bust, and silver bottles in the glass café – they are also beautiful.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 10:49:01 AM »
Quote from: "David555"
Good call Tiger - I don't think Scandinavian with it being not being cased and it's just too wacky - I think Blenko or another USA company - perhaps Italian

Sorry if I gave the impression that I thought it was Scandi by linking to a Holmegaard piece - that was merely to illustrate that not all cased glass with heavy gradations is Italian. I still stand by my original guess at the beginning of the thread that it does hail from Italy. Although I hadn't considered American until now!  :)

Offline Lilian

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 08:10:33 PM »
Well I must say.....I love you all, as a newbie I am really surprised at the replies, you have all given me a lot to think about...
The stopper in the cased bottle DOES wobble....the bronze is I think of Princess Anne...picked it up at a local antique shop for a very reasonable price( I think so anyway!!!!) The parrot is Losolware. The glass deco candlesticks and dish have some scratches on the bottom but not a lot....I really thought they were Deco now I am doubtful. As for putting things on the glass cafe you should have seen the trouble I had putting these three on....having to make them smaller etc
I WILL post some more pics of my glass when I feel up to doing the photo thing. :roll:
Retired this year....I love car boots, fairs and charity shops. I have a large collection of glass and a fair bit of pottery.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 11:50:46 PM »
Lilian, if you upload to GlassGallery and post the link to the image it should make it easy for you. If you need help with GlassGallery just shout me.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lilian

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 08:48:55 AM »
cheers anne!!!!!  
Retired this year....I love car boots, fairs and charity shops. I have a large collection of glass and a fair bit of pottery.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 01:34:49 PM »
Hi Lilian,

I noticed Pinkspoons' observation on your stopper and I wondered if this might be helpful.  I bought this piece which is 25" tall with stopper and has the same clear stopper on a cased bottle :

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/normal_smallerDSCN1213.jpg

Although the stopper is a loose fit, I've had 2 of these bottles before and the stoppers always seem like a bit of an after-thought in terms of fit - they are only decorative anyway and the fit doesn't seem to be as important as it would be on a decanter or perfume bottle.  I am as sure as it's possible to be that they are supposed to be together.  There's a small clear tip on the stopper which matches a slight halo effect around the top of the bottle perfectly for colour.

I'm leaning towards Italian, but some time has gone by since your thread started and maybe we'll be able to get some new information from somebody!

Hope the "retirement" is going well!

Kind regards Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Lilian

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2006, 03:41:02 PM »
HI CAT

What a super bottle...definately looks the same style....
Are we not all mad...just keep on buying all this glass....
Thanks for replyong :lol:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand