No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Info on this vase please  (Read 2552 times)

Offline JeanieW

• Members
Info on this vase please
« on: May 09, 2011, 08:03:19 AM »
Hi
Can anyone tell me anything about this vase. I came across it at a boot fair yesterday and had to buy if for nostalgic reasons as I remember one of these in our house when I was a child.
I'm new here so apologies if I've put this request in the wrong place or anything.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w177/jeanieslr/Today/1940s-vase-.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Info on this vase please
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 09:38:28 PM »
Welcome to the board, posting it here is spot on.

It looks like it might be a copy or at least similar in style to Chance's Coloured Spiderweb range, if so it may date to the 50s. Is the orange finish textured?

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline JeanieW

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 10:03:38 PM »
Welcome to the board, posting it here is spot on.

It looks like it might be a copy or at least similar in style to Chance's Coloured Spiderweb range, if so it may date to the 50s. Is the orange finish textured?

John

Hi, thanks for your prompt reply, yes the orange bit is textured. I was thinking it might be a bit older than 50s as I remember one at home in the early 60s and my parents didn't have money to buy new so it could have been a few years old when they got it. Someone suggested 40s? Do you think it's British?

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 10:06:03 PM »
It does look 1950s.  Those look like Mathey Crinkle type decorations on the textured, coloured part.  That's where tiny pieces of glass (frit) are melted onto the surface to give texture.  I'm not sure you'll get a definite ID on this vase Jeanie, because there are so many variations on this style from different countries, but you never know!  It's in the right place here though.   :X: :)

I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline JeanieW

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 10:14:14 PM »
It does look 1950s.  Those look like Mathey Crinkle type decorations on the textured, coloured part.  That's where tiny pieces of glass (frit) are melted onto the surface to give texture.  I'm not sure you'll get a definite ID on this vase Jeanie, because there are so many variations on this style from different countries, but you never know!  It's in the right place here though.   :X: :)

Many thanks for your comments. I think I might learn a few things hanging around here  :thup:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand