No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help to ID Kookaburra Bowl with makers mark please! - ID = STS Abel, Yugoslavia  (Read 16561 times)

Offline cmdg

• Members
Definately 1930's then,thank you!.
Meegs, thanks for the links to those other pieces,quite a wide variation in prices really and I reckon that noneare quite as nice as mine,as I think the blue is fantastic and much more striking than the malachite/slag glass (but beauty is in the eye of the beholder though!!), it's interesting to note that not all have makers marks,it seems that moulds could have been re-used I guess.I will let you know if I do put it onto ebay,and as long as when packaged it is not over 2 kilos then I will quote worldwide postage!,I do think it will come out as less than 2kgs,although I do tend to over-pack, as better safe than sorry eh!..
On reflection I wonder if the bird is a 'bluebird' ?.
Best wishes,Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
It's probably a budgerigar.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
In Germany described as Pigeon bowl - and everyone here knows which you're talking about  :sm:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline cmdg

• Members
Ah, a Pigeon Bowl or a Budgie !!,I don't suppose it really matters and I did think that if it had been a kookaburra then I can't imagine too many of them in Yugoslavia!!.
Thank you,Chris

Offline meegs

• Members
Yes Chris, I think the blue is very striking and the first one of these bowls I saw was in blue.
I also think of them as pigeons as the common old rock pigeons we have here look just like that when they settle for a short roost on a wet day; down the pull their heads into their shoulders and fluff up the feathers, tuck one foot underneath them and look very ho-hum. There is a spot a few of them fight over above my back door on wet days -  hoping I expect I will come out and feed them.

Cheers
Meegs

Offline cmdg

• Members
Hi Meegs, I was think maybe we could do a deal,so I just posted a new topic in the 'market Place' forum.let me know what you think!.
Best wishes,Chris

Offline meegs

• Members
Hi Chis,
I haven't managed to find the new post; but I have sent you an e-mail.
Thank-you
Meegs

Offline angel2

• Members
 :angel: :angel:

I thought these might be of some interest to this thread. I have a pair of candlesticks which are very similar in design, although not identical. The birds breast and wing feathers are a bit different. I've newly started a thread to see if they're also made by STS Abel. The sticks heights vary, 1 x 13cms and 1 x 14.5cms but this may be usual, I don't know.

angel2

Offline Cláudio

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Brazil
    • Do Tempo do Guaraná de Rolha
Hello everybody!

I'm new in glassmessages.com, and i don't know if this topic is the right place to do my question... But leveraging all the discusion, i would like your opinion about the date of my "pigeon" bowl.
It doesn't have Sts Abel's mark. But is has some litle, very litle air bubles in the glass.
Is it Sts Abel Yugoslavia production? Or is it a copy?
And what about the production date?
Pamela said me, in a e-mail that maybe it was manufactured in the 60's. But, and the air bubles? It is only an imperfection in the glass?

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
welcome to GMB, Claudio - glad you've joined  :)
I've asked our moderators to revitalize this thread or even split your query to a new post into the general Glass section.

your pigeon bowl looks of early, pre-WWII production: very crisp pressing and the pigeons' feet sit prominently on the base - which is something the later bowls don't show, this is just my opinion. the colour looks right as well.

a further remark on the colour of your bowl: probably it's only reflection of the table it stands on, but from the photo it looks as if it's an uranium amber, please check under uv light?

also, please thoroughly check the center underneath again: the star and wineglass mark can be extremely faint sometimes  ;)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand