No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: addition to Stuart pattern.  (Read 10303 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
addition to Stuart pattern.
« on: May 11, 2011, 08:35:21 PM »
Back in September 09, I posted a picture of a small amber desert bowl with a Stuart back stamp, and a Rd. No. for March 1921  -  and by way of a bit of egotism here is its big brother which I've just acquired - with a diameter of something like 8"/205mm    This has a back stamp, but is without a Rd. No. - amazing the things that turn up when you are least expecting them.    Of course, I have no idea for how long this design was produced - may well have been for many years, unless someone does in fact know.

Offline Peter S

• Members
Re: addition to Stuart pattern.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 07:12:32 AM »
Hi Paul, my name is Peter I live in New Zealand and have been referred by another collector to your post - I actually collect this range :) its called the Stratford Service and the first 21 peices were registered by Stuart in 1921, they kept adding shapes for the next twenty or so years.  Stratford was an extremely important service in Stuart history because its was at that time that they standardised their production to mould blown forms.  While the blowers got used to the new methods the pieces were blown in coloured glass and left relatively undecorated - the Stratford Service was available in green, blue, and two different versions of amber.

Plain peices are fairly rare as Stuart employed a number of decorators so peices were either enamelled or cut with various patterns.  Once they settled on which shapes best suited decorating, a number of shapes were eliminated from production, but if you examine any later Stuart crystal (especially the sweet dishes) you'll see the same stepped rings as are on your examples. 

Both of your pieces were discontinued, so you won't see later decorated versions.  I'm always careful describing things as rare, but as you probably know they are seldom seen.  As far as I know there is one other collection apart from mine, which I believe is in Devon.

Regards, Peter

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 04:29:55 PM »
Hello Peter, and welcome to the GMB - and my thanks for your interest in these pieces of Stuart.      It was my mistake to omit the name of this particular service, although I was in fact aware of the name 'Stratford' because there are several pages on Stuart glass in Miller's "20th - Century Glass", and this was how I first knew of this particular design.   I think my smaller desert dish is pattern No. 22996 and is described as a 'Sweet' - although unfortunately, I know nothing of the larger bowl.   As you say, plain pieces of Stuart seem far less common than their decorated examples/cut glass, which is sometimes quite abundant.    You obviously know much more than me about Stuart - I probably don't have more than half a dozen pieces, plus several drinking glasses - but I can appreciate the quality.    Do you collect the mould blown range only, or perhaps some cut glass as well??    I notice that you refer to green, blue and amber colours (at least for 'Stratford') - although I do have a clear example of the small vase (No. 23887 -I think, but Nos. are too small on the page to be sure).    I have now attached a picture of this clear piece together with another example in the same pattern in 'Apple Green', and would appreciate you comments as to whether this clear example is rare or common.    Another iconic Stuart design is 'Woodchester' -  although I belive this appears on cut glass only  -  some of which I have, and as with 'Stratford' I believe Woodchester goes back a long way, and I think it is a shame that it appears so few people collect what was a quality producer such as Stuart - when their output was so diverse and interesting.      Look forward to seeing some of your collection, and my thanks again for your very informative reply. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 04:48:52 PM »
I actually see a fair more plain Stratford on my travels.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:22:59 PM »
hello Christine  -  then I will swop some of your plain Stuart for some of my uranium glass :)

Offline Peter S

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 06:18:10 AM »
Hi Paul,

Nice to meet someone else who shares my addiction!  As a collector I'm keen to ferret out anything obscure, and the Stratford service is obscure, while the rest of Stuart's production is fairly well known, so I restrict my collecting to plain pieces.  They also tend (at least in New Zealand) to be found in the bric-a-brac shops so are good buying at $5-$10 (between 3 and 6 pounds).

Funny you should mention Woodchester, the only piece that breaks my rule is a blue bowl which has been decorated in the Woodchester pattern.  Clear glass was definitely used for Stratford, I've posted some photos of my collection which include clear glass, and I have a copy of the Andy McConnell's book and have also studied that illustration of the catalogue extensively - my wish is to one day get at least a full sized version of that illustration but I don't know where to start going about inquiries (that said I'm on the message board now so that should help!).

I've figured out how to downsize my photos so here's some shots of my collection - I definitely have the smaller clear version of your vase, and have seen several examples of the larger green one here.  I can't be 100% sure but I think Stratford made its way to New Zealand with immigrants rather than through importers, so seldom do they turn up - decorated Stuart was definitely imported in quantity. 

Regards, Peter 

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 11:28:12 AM »
Hi Peter, I like Stuart stuff too, and have a small amount of it in varying shapes - marked and unmarked.

There are also a few topics on the board about the Stuart Stratford pattern. If you pop it into the Search box you'll see what I mean. :)

Some of my Stuart Stratford pieces:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,25768.0.html - large green footed bowl
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34248.0.html - 3 bowls and underplates

and some of mine with some of Chris Harrison's pieces:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,9362.0.html - has a lot of interesting info in re Stratford and the similar range from Dema.

Nigel Benson is a mine of information about Stuart also and does have one of their catalogues (see earlier topic above) so may be able to add more too. ;)

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 11:47:14 AM »
thanks for sharing your pictures Peter, and I could very easily walk away with your blue bowl with the 'Woodchester' leaf :mrgreen:    I can't quite see from your picture, but does the blue bowl have 'Stratford' rings as well as the leaf motif?         Addictions are o.k. by the way....... unless you have too many of them  -  and as you can see, overnight we have quadrupled the number of Stuart collectors  -  so perhaps there will be a book just for us one day ;).

Offline Peter S

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 08:26:56 AM »
Hello Paul and Anne,

It is very nice to talk to other people who recognise the Stratford Service!  And wouldn't a book all of our own be a wonderful thing, actually do either of you know if there is any such thing as a book specifically on Stuart and Sons?  The only time I've seen them refererred to is in general terms alongside other manufacturers.

Paul, the blue bowl is a favorite because its the only blue piece I've got, and yes it does have the Stratford rings.  One thing I really love about the coloured ware is that the colours are so perfect - infact I've got one thats slighty mauve and will eventually turn purple due to the magnesium in the glass reacting to sunlight - it'll take some time to do it but thats fine with me!

Thanks for the links Anne your collection is very nice too, and Chris's blue glasses are wonderful, and a very big thank you for the reference to Nigel Benson, it'll take me some time to read through his website - fascinating!

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 01:51:35 PM »
Peter, I have a couple more pieces to share with you too. I found (yesterday!) a coloured Stratford jug which has a cut pattern, and a wineglass in the same colour glass with the same cut pattern on it, but it's not one of the Stratford glasses. Photos later when I've filed my current job. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand