No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: addition to Stuart pattern.  (Read 10310 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: addition to Stuart pattern.
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 07:03:02 PM »
And today 4 clear Stratford wine goblets joined them!  :rah: :rah: :rah: :rah:

Sadly the matching clear jug, which had been included with the glasses according to the price ticket, was sold separately so I missed that!  :cry:

I have pics, of the coloured ones above and the clear ones found today, on the camera but I can't find where himself has hidden the lead to make the camera talk to my PC so I'm having to await his return to get the pics off the camera... drums fingers impatiently...   :help:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 07:20:07 PM »
Whilst fretting at not being able to get my pics off the camera, I went to check on Replacements.com about the size of the glasses - they have very little in the Stratford pattern - the only wineglass shown is a drawing here: http://images.replacements.com/images/images5/crystal/S/stuart_stratford_water_goblet_P0000098776S0001T2.jpg which isn't the same as mine on the stem and doesn't look quite the same as those in Peter's Stuart 001 image above. Is it replacements.com which have it slightly wrong?

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 07:24:49 PM »
I'm answering my own question here with the help of lorainek's blog and photo album Through the looking glass here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/14976327@N02/show/ which shows the exact same shape as my clear glasses - lorainek has them in green and turquoise... phew!!!  :sun:

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 09:22:14 PM »
All pics added now (and himself forgiven!)  :)

Offline Peter S

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 05:37:19 AM »
Hi Anne,

I think you have extremely well!  That peach colour is new to me, the jug is obviously Stratford but the glasses must be from a different shape range - they look great though!  And the wine glasses are a bonus too :) I'm heading out tomorrow morning to the Hutt Valley to hit up the thrift shops, about 10 of them, and if I'm lucky I'll find one peice - but at the same time on the internet there is one blue engraved footed bowl for $20 that if I'm lucky I'll be the proud new owner of!

I didn't know that replacements.com have Stratford....very tempting... ;)

Regards, Peter

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 07:26:45 PM »
Hi Peter, I've not seen the peachy colour before either - it's rather nice! There is a small bruise to the jug rim which looks like it's been there a while, but I can live with that. :) I can't find any glasses to match the shape of the peachy one anywhere though.  :cry:

Offline Peter S

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 09:41:36 PM »
Hi Anne,

Comparing your jug to mine, yours is more nipped in just under the spout - but I think it suits the engraving better - and I reckon those are probably the only glasses meant to go with the jug but you never know - you might be lucky!  I won the auction for the blue peice - not the greatest photo with the lisitng, but I'm confident that its blue Stuart :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 02:22:15 PM »
I found a pair of these this morning, undoubtedly 'Stratford' and confirmed by the back stamp which reads RD. 681649, which is another of the March 1921 registrations by Stuart.     But I'm just very surprised to find a piece of Stuart with 'machine acid etching', which was not something that I would have thought they dabbled in   -  unless of course they made the bodies and then sold them on to others who did the decoration.     The other issue is........date wise what was the approximate cut-off period that signalled the end of machine acid etching (for the U.K.) - does anyone have a reliable date  -  could be wrong but this particular piece certainly looks post 1940 manufacture.   I do in fact have a growing collection of machine acid etched pieces, and some are very attractive, so these are certainly worth having, althougn unsure whether this shape is a martini or champagne - height is about 3" - 76mm. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 03:27:21 PM »
 :pb:of course if I only read the books that I bought...........................Hajdamach ,"British Glass 1800 - 1914" shows two very good pictures of the Stuart etching shops (taken in 1902), in which the women can be seen applying resist and others standing at the upright etching machines.    The same book give over an entire chapter on the subject of acid etching  -  although in view of the date line the cut of time is 1914 ish, so not relevant to my pieces, I don't think.

Offline Peter S

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 05:44:14 AM »
Hi Paul,

The more that I look at your photos the more intrigued I get! Its not like any style I've seen on Stratford before - I wonder if they dusted off some patterns they already had, then designed new ones a little later - it would have been an old fashioned pattern even in 1921 - but I agree with your instinct that its much later than that.

Meanwhile, down in New Zealand, we just had our local Bottle and Collectors Show in the weekend - its the first time in quite a while that I've pulled all my Stuart out of storage, there was a lot more than I expected so I decided to only use one example of every shape (if I had more than one) and for the display I used a piece of black velvet under the colourless glass, and white vinyl under the colours - I was really happy with the result, and people who were familiar with Stuart were saying they had no idea that such a range existed :)

Anne, when I was looking at the small posy vases I discovered that some were amber and some were peach!  I always thought they were all amber, it wasn't until I studied them more closely that I could see the difference -

Cheers, Peter   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand