No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: addition to Stuart pattern.  (Read 10311 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: addition to Stuart pattern.
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 05:26:48 PM »
What appears to be a Stuart Stratford jampot here?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290593390026

Peter, that's a nice selection of Stuart you have there!  :mrgreen:

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 12:32:46 PM »
The other issue is........date wise what was the approximate cut-off period that signalled the end of machine acid etching (for the U.K.) - does anyone have a reliable date  -  could be wrong but this particular piece certainly looks post 1940 manufacture. 

Almost certainly still in use in 1950s, but cheaper transfer and printing techniques would have largely replaced it for cheap glassware in general.

Offline Peter S

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 06:05:28 AM »
Hi Anne,

Thats quite a handsome piece - I checked the shape guide reproduced in the Miller/McConnell book and sure enough its in there listed as a honey pot.  I was basing my identification on what I could see of the lid before that, the angled spoon slot and flat knob - it certainly looked right!  Are you going to have a punt?  It dosen't seem like much money really.

Cheers, Peter

And thanks for the kind words, I'm quite proud of my collection!

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 04:29:47 PM »
Hi Peter, no as I can't justify it in terms of what I'm collecting (trinket sets) and I am rapidly running out of space here!  :ooh: As it is I have a box of common stuff which is going back to a local charity shop just so as I can regain some space.

I only pick up odd things that aren't trinket sets if I see them locally - things that might help answer a question, add to the knowledge pot, or provide a label or a mark... otherwise I have to leave them be or I'll end up sleeping in the flower beds whilst the glass fills the house.  :thud:

I'm trying to stay away from buying on eBay altogether or I get carried away and then I'll be in bother with himself!!!  :help:

Offline Peter S

• Members
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 07:52:32 AM »
Hah!  I know what you mean Anne, my terrible secret is a storage locker that is slowly filling up with bits and pieces which I keep bringing home like a magpie - I try to sell more than I buy on Trademe (NZ's version of Ebay) but some weeks I'm not so successful with that plan :)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 12:48:20 AM »
Peter, can you take a peek at this - I wondered if it might be Stuart Stratford too?
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,42777.0.html

Offline Peter S

• Members
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 05:36:58 AM »
Hi Anne, funnily enough I've got one of those bowls :) they aren't Stuart, but very, very similar - I'll pop a reply on the other thread

Regards, Peter

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2017, 07:21:30 AM »
Hello Peter S.

I live in Warragul about 100kms East of Melbourne, Australia.  A while back I bought a Jug & 5 Iced Teas in A Woodchester pattern in Blue.  First time I had ever seen it and I bought it off Ebay.  Some 18 months later I was in Queensland and at a tiny town called KilKivan found another different style of jug and 6 tumblers.  I did not buy them for the $65 asked because they were GLASS not crystal.

A month later a horrible thought occurred what if my blue one were actually glass - the stickers did not mention crystal.  I had an iced tea that was crystal so it was easy to check.  The blue stetting is GLASS not crystal and I missed the other set!

I wonder are your blue items glass rather than crystal?

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2017, 12:21:09 PM »
Just thought I'd pop these in to add to the post... ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2017, 05:48:04 PM »
Very attractive Keith - good finds  ..........  so probably your one hundred and nineteenth shelf?? ;D ;D

Most of this thread seems now to be quite ancient - 2011 feels like almost half a lifetime ago, especially looking at the volume of viewings - but looking at Ross' comments re glass versus crystal, I wonder how many beginners or those unseasoned in the terminology of glass will find the wording that some pieces are glass but not crystal, or that crystal isn't glass - a tad confusing, especially as it all starts with silica.       Sorry to be picky Ross ;D - and I'm sure I know what you mean - but this explanation for my old brain seems to lack some clarity.
Regret I don't recall investigating the constituent make up of Stuart glass, or looking at their labels, although no doubt I did have pieces with stickers, but have to assume from your comments that you have some labels that confirm a lead oxide content (your 'crystal'), and the remainder - which in theory would not have any label, that were non-lead pieces (your 'glass').

I notice that the Stuart label shown in this thread states STUART ENGLAND, so perhaps there is another Stuart label - which I can't at the moment seem to find anywhere on the Board's archive, or in my books - which indicates a lead content for some of their pieces.

Lead content varies from 'full lead crystal' (in the U.K. 34% usually) with around maximum 24% in much Continental material, which is known as 'half-lead.             If you consider the mid C20 cut bowls from Stuart - those shown in the Benson/Hayhurst booklet for example - then it's reasonable to assume most or all of these have a high lead content, and this is supported by the comments in Stuart's own States directed ad for their 'Camelot' range, on page 290, of CH's '20th Century British Glass'  -  part of which reads  .............  'And with a lead content so high perhaps no other crystal made today  .......  etc. etc.'            Perhaps a little odd that seeing how proud they were of this process they didn't see fit to tell us what the percentage was.             Lead oxide apparently makes the cutting easier, better refractive properties, in addition to making for a better 'ring', although many non-lead pieces will ring if they are of a substantial hollow shape.
But -  the glass discussed in this thread is unrelated to those heavily cut and thick bowls, so we mustn't assume they are of the same make-up.

Apologies for the long-winded post - just that I'm confused when folk speak of crystal and glass without use of the word 'lead', leaving some uncertainty of meaning, and a small alteration in description would make the meaning clearer for some of us.        'Lead Crystal' or non-lead crystal.
Would be interested to hear details of lead oxide inclusion, or not, in the type of Stuart glass showing in this thread, and examples of their labels indicating specific lead content. :)

Anyway this makes up for the fact that I've not contributed for few days ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand