No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID help.  (Read 1155 times)

Offline marc

• Members
ID help.
« on: May 12, 2011, 02:23:07 PM »
Hi everyone.

I've bought this paperweight. Could it be  Bohemian, second half 20th  century?

Best regards.

Marcos.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline m1asmithw8s

• Members
    • http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/m1asmith/
Re: ID help.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 04:09:18 PM »
Modern Boh (Bohemian)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline casalibre

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 08:25:25 PM »
What does modern bohemian mean? :huh: :huh: :huh:
I presume it is bohemian, first half of the 20c .
Maybe about 1930.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 11:52:17 PM »
I suspect few of us would be sure about the date this type of weight was made and whether to call it Bohemian or Czechoslovakian or something else.

The term "modern" is often used as a simplified way to distinguish 19th century from 20th century items. But when we consider the paperweight definitions of "classic" and "post-classic" the line of separation moves back into the 19th century (at least for most things).

If we think in terms of "Classic / Post-classic" periods, then "Modern Bohemian" presumably means c1870s/1880s to 1939 (with an interrupt for the war years iof 1914-18). If we think in terms of 19th or 20th century (being one of a few generalised views of "antique / modern") then "Modern Bohemian" must only mean 1900 - 1939. But ...

Peter Von Brackel, in his book, Paperweights, Historicism, Art Nouveau, Art Deco, 1842 to Present (published 1999), classes many of the illustrated weights of a similar style with overall faceting as "Bohemia / Czechoslovakia 1910 - 1930". (So what happened in the period 1900 - 1909? I wil have to read the book again to see if there is a simple answer to that!)

For some items, Peter extends the end date to 1939. For other items he includes another option for place of manufacture, such as "Silesia" or "Bavarian Forest".

Personally, I think Peter's generalised attribution and dating is about as good as it gets. Unless anyone can confirm anything more specific.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand