No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: uranium green jade opaline bowl with star cut base - ID = Jobling  (Read 2305 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Well, I'm sure I should have been able to find this, but I've been all round the houses and no luck.
At the risk of making myself look foolish I *think* this is blown (mould blown?) glass, beautiful and perfect flat polished base, handcut star design on base.
It glows like mad and measures 7 3/4"w (19.5cm) and 2.5" high (6.3cm).
I thought it must not be:
 Davidson - wrong colour and not pressed
Jobling - Possibly but couldnt' find a match and it's not pressed
S & W - I'm not sure the green is right - I've added another picture at the base which may be slightly more representative of daylight colour.  However the top picture is close and certainly it glows and looks that colour under lighting.
that's as far as I've got

Any directions or help much appreciated.
many thanks  :sun:
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: stuck - uranium green jade opaline bowl with star cut base
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 05:35:16 PM »
oh and it's translucent, hold it up to the light and you can see your fingers outlined through it.
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 05:47:57 PM »
Could it be (sorry for suggesting it) foreign?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 06:04:32 PM »
 :24:  :24:  :24:
That well-known maker of all sorts of wee things - what exactly was their time-period again? Do you know, Ivo? I thought the "Foreign" mark came to an end around the same time as WWII.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 06:31:14 PM »
 ;D  No, I'd not got that far Ivo, I had a look, but then got very confused.  See, I know roughly what a pressed glass jade green piece will look like, I have some here and I've seen others in the flesh.  And I think I know what a piece of Stevens and Williams alabaster should look like.  But I really don't know, nor have I ever seen, a piece of green opaline French glass for example, or Czechoslovakian either.  And I am never sure whether the American makers are all pressed or could they be blown.  So rather than run the risk of someone laughing at me for suggesting could it possibly be Baccarat, I thought I'd ask for some help  :sun:
m

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 07:29:10 PM »
It is Jobling and it is pressed! (albeit stuck up and cupped after pressing). It's Jobling's superb 1054 pattern. It pre-dates the French designed art glass range, however, from 1933 it was produced in jade and early versions of the 2541 statue came with the bowl in either low cupped or cupped forms. Recently the pattern has also been found in iridised (carnival) glass too. If you look closely you'll see the base star is actually moulded, then the whole base ground and polished.

See here for more: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,30678.0.html

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 07:33:03 PM »
oh, you beat me to it!  ;D by a moment, I'd just found a thread you'd posted on and also a pic of the base on the Thistlewood site - I 'knew' I'd find it as soon as I gave up and posted here >:D  I found another thread you'd posted on with a pic of the bowl and frog.
Thank you for confirming  :sun:
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 07:43:17 PM »
and it's quite exciting to have one of these :clap:  it's a fab colour opaline.  thank you again.  Just adding a link to a post Bernard made with information in, now I know what I'm looking for.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,17701.msg102531.html#msg102531

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand