No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help ID vase/bottle with opalescent bands ID = Meijdam for Leerdam  (Read 5622 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
This beautiful vase (or maybe decanter) has a label I have never seen, a capital "L" surrounded by a golden chain.
The style of the label looks rather oldfashioned, so I would date it to the 1970ies at latest (but certainly could be wrong).

Vase stands 28 cm high, has an indented base, fire-polished rim, and internal decoration of opalescent and beige bands / swirls.

(Sorry for the crappy pics, but the decoration is quite delicate and not easy to capture)

I looked through books and websites for glassmakers whose names begin with L, but without much success.
The only glasswork I found who used "L" on their labels is Lindshammar, but their labels look quite different.

Any comments very appreciated!
Thanks
Michael

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
???

Maybe that is an importer label?? as just a guess -- but I will see what I can find, if anything  :spls:   

Could those be Scrolls around the edges OR motifs for an Eyeball        ??                     

(Just throwing it out there, as a Guess.....................)
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
at first glance it looks like a Floris Meijdam bottle vase like mine - but unable to explain away the L label.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Thank you very much, Rose and Ivo!

Rose, the motivs may well be eyeballs, I merely guessed that this was a chain...

Ivo, your Meijdam bottle does look a lot like mine! Is the bottom finish similar too? And is it unsigned as well?

I have done a search for Leerdam yesterday (because of the "L"), and I saw similar designs, but never a paper label with an "L", and most pieces signed, so I ruled that out...
But I wouldn't mind at all if it was a Meydam design :)

Michael

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
only the current replicas are signed (and most discreetly) but the old ones never are. And yes, the bottom is similar.

Leerdam did not use L stickers - it must be a retailer. 

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Ivo, great info (as usual)!! My very first piece of Dutch glass!
Thanks for sharing your knowledge! :)

Funny that the retailer used the first letter of the glassworks, then (or it is merely a coincidence).

Sorry, two more questions:
- when were these designed/made approximately?
- is this a vase or rather a bottle/decanter? If the latter, would there belong a stopper to it?

edit: just found this similar style Meydam vase with the same "L"-label: http://www.visueleverkoop.nl/nld/shop/00364-erg-fraaie-flesvaas-van-floris-meydam.html
edit2: one more: http://www.botterweg.com/Auction/Bid/tabid/59/auctionid/12/lotid/4765/language/en-US/Default.aspx
great when one knows what to look for!

Michael

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Here you go - they DID use these stickers then. All questions answered it seems.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Thanks again, Ivo! I am more than satisfied :)
BTW, another stickered one: http://www.donzella.com/store/furniture_item_detail.php?id=437900

So maybe they used this label only for a short period in the 1950s...

Michael

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Hi Michael, I contacted a Dutch site that I occasionally ask questions about Leerdam Glass of, and sent them the Botterweg link you mentioned. I asked if the label was one they recognised, and this was Jay's reply:

Dear Rosemary,

Sorry, but we don't recognise this label.
It's definitely NOT from the Leerdam factory, and it would be unusual for retailers to use a label in the post-war period, but I'm afraid that's all the help we can offer on this one.

with Best wishes

Jay & Han
www.hogelandshoeve.nl   

He hasn't said if he agrees this is a Leerdam vase, so would you like me to follow it up for you, or would you rather persue it yourself.....his website address is on this copy, and they are very friendly and approachable....just like us!
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
So probably a retail label then, as I thought.

Moderator can we change the title from "Maydam" to Leerdam, please. Mod: Done as requested. Well, it is now that I have changed the right part!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand