No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Venini decanter model 4580  (Read 3044 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Venini decanter model 4580
« on: May 14, 2011, 11:57:04 AM »
Camera's on the fritz, and am awaiting a replacement - so no images yet I'm afraid.

But the item in question is an incalmo decanter, illustrated in the red catalogue as #4580, with an opaque red bottom half, a transparent smoke-grey upper half and a cased opaque red stopper with an opal-white band. Backstamped with the 3-line mark and with a partial old label.

I was just wondering about its designer - the shape bears strong resemblance to those designed by Bianconi & Venini during the early 1950s - but did Bianconi do incalmo designs for Venini?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Venini decanter model 4580
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 04:07:52 PM »
Ah, new camera arrived.

Haven't had time to fiddle with lighting, but you get the idea...

Offline pinky1989

• Members
Re: ducks
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 08:54:43 PM »
Hi,
I am a whitefriars duck collector and I am looking for new exciting ducks.
I have seen from a previous post that you have some lovely ducks, please let me know if there is an amount of money you would accept for your rarist duck. I am also open to swap deals and I have a large collection of whitefriars ducks and vases.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 03:17:26 AM »
Nic:

You're finding some very nice Murano. Interesting piece. Your piece a tiny bit different from 4580 in that its shoulders are less sloped. There's a similar piece in Catalogo Verde folio 32, 526.17, which would seem to be a later iteration of this design. In both Catalogo Verde and Rosso the pieces is preceded and followed by Bianconi design so I wouldn't be surprised if this were a Bianconi as well.  Most of my books are in boxes right now (moving rooms to gain some more space for glass), but I'll look when I unpack early next week.

David

PS No ducks for me, thank you.
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 07:37:58 PM »
An odd place for a duck request!  ;D Assuming you mean the tangerine duck, I gave that away as a gift a while back. It's flown the nest.

David, thanks for the comments. I put the difference in the red catalogue down to it being quite sketchy - but I could be wrong.

The two-volume DeBoni book appears to have a truncated version of the green catalogue, as the model you mention doesn't seem to feature in it.  >:(

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 11:03:19 PM »
Quittenbaum have attributed a much smaller version of the bottle (mines 33.3cm) to Bianconi & P. Venini, c.1956:

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6121304

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 12:21:02 AM »
Nic:

The Quittenbaum makes your attribution pretty solid.   The fuller version of the Green Catalogue is in Venini Catalog Raisonne.

A very nice addition!

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 07:46:41 AM »
Thanks.  :)

And I'll have to look into getting the Catalog Raisonne - it was nearly to be the first Venini book I got, too, but I opted for the bigger one.

Size, as they say, is not always everything.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand