No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art Deco bowl with two colour threading - Kralik?  (Read 1779 times)

Offline dirk.

• Members
Art Deco bowl with two colour threading - Kralik?
« on: May 14, 2011, 04:37:26 PM »
Hi
Although I've never seen these colours on threaded Kralik pieces, I can't think of another
maker. Can you? Thoughts as always most appreciated!
Diameter ca. 25cm
TIA
Dirk
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Art Déco bowl with two colour threading - Kralik?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 07:44:26 PM »
Very nice Dirk,I'd agree Kralik,interested to see what Craig says ;D

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 04:05:10 AM »
Thank you, Keith! I love the contrasting colours of it. It makes the bowl look so modern,
that the auctioneers classified it as 2nd half of the 20th century - together with a Kralik
Millefiori bowl. Maybe the reason they didn't sell in the auction and I got the two of them
afterwards... :)

...working on it...

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 04:35:16 AM »
I think there is a good possibility that this piece is actually by Welz. The color combination is unusual, something they like to do, and I have identified a large number of bowls and footed compote style pieces with bodies shaped in a similar manner.  I have only identified a couple of pieces of glass I believe to be by them which has threading on them.  This may be the third.....  I am not 100% sure, but that is the direction I lean strongly...  

Interestingly, it was actually a piece with a Welz label, in a similar style of body and lip as this piece that got me started on my whole Welz project..... They had all been systematically classified as Kralik, and one day I was sent a group of pictures by a collector who added the comment that there was a Kralik "face bowl" as some call them, with a label reading FWK on it... It was this family of forms that made me realize that Welz product was being attributed incorrectly, and I became curious as to how much of it was out there...... I actually looked at pieces pushed out with tongs as a starting place for my work..... and what I found there was very startling and interesting..... and it grew from there.....

I went through my image library for Kralik threaded and veined pieces and could not find a single example by them which contained two colors of threading on the same vessel.  

Although not the same, I am attaching an image of a couple of pieces I believe to be Welz threaded pieces. The first one contains threading which appears to be the same color of blue, a color which I do not have on any Kralik examples.

Great piece.... Also nice size.....

Dirk.... Email me pics???

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 11:50:32 AM »
Hi Craig
Many thanks for your detailed answer - much appreciated!  :hiclp:
You can imagine Welz wouldn't be a bad answer for me either!  ;)
I'll certainly send you some pictures asap. I've been busy a bit more than usual over
the last weeks, so be prepared for a few more interesting items...  :hi:

...working on it...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand