No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: unusual colour for Riihimaaein Lasi vase.  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
unusual colour for Riihimaaein Lasi vase.
« on: May 15, 2011, 10:08:56 PM »
Surprisingly, couldn't find this in Leslie Pina's 'Fire & Sea', but just by chance found the shape in Miller's/Andy MacConnell's '20th Century Glass' - page 207 - and it turns out to be one of Aimo Okkolin's last designs (No. 6012), from about 1982.   I'm not really doubting it, but didn't see this as a Riihimaki colour (too much of a bright blue), and whilst the book gives the largest size as 24.5 cms. - this example runs out at 25.2 cms.     Not sure what tolerances there are with some of these Scandi. pieces, so would appreciate someone else's confirmation please.     I notice that on the same page there are examples of the Riihimaki colour range (including Okkolin's work), but don't see this as being turquoise or bluegreen  -  so rather mystified.     thanks. :)

Offline dirk.

• Members
Re: unusual colour for Riihimaaein Lasi vase.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 03:50:05 AM »
Hi Paul
Can´t help with the measure question, but I once had a ´Ruusu´ vase in this colour...
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 05:58:43 AM »
Hi Paul
I do have a Riihimaen Lasi vase in that colour, a 1472 by Tamara Aladin. I went on the DesignLasi site and couldn't see the vase or the colour you refer to under Aimo Okkolin Vases search, however I don't know if the site is a full comprehensive listing of all vases.
http://www.designlasi.com/en/esinehaku?keys=&tid2=All&tid5=70&tid1=All&tid3=48&tid4=All
m

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 07:40:52 AM »
I've had Aitan Lukko in that colourway....twas very pretty!   :D
I am not a man

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 07:59:51 AM »
Looks like one of the usual blues they used, as in these two photos:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-11749

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-11745

I have had a dozen or so different designs in that blue. It is not unusual for sizes to vary by a few millimeters.

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 08:48:40 AM »
thanks to all for your help and information :), although bit of a shame m that it isn't shown on the 'designlasi' page for Aimo Okkolin.   Perhaps, being one of the last designs, it was less common, and they didn't have an example to photograph  -  I notice that in Miller's it is given a higher commercial value than the others in the picture.   I rather like this 'brighter' blue, and for a change I didn't have problems with water staining etc.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 11:11:32 AM »
I had that very vase in the same colour http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=54

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 02:42:20 PM »
Firstly - yes, the colour is quite Riihimäen Lasi and not that rare after all. It is from the later era of blown vases. That is, from the 70's I believe.
Anyway, it could not be from 1982 as Riihimäen Lasi ended producing blown glass in November 1976. Also Mr. Okkolin only worked for RL until 1974 when he retired and after that  until 1977 free lancing.

As there are known errors in some foreign books and as I cannot find any other facts (in Finland) of the possible designer of this vase I would not recommend spreading this further as a known Okkolin design. My opinion so far is it might belong to the export collection that was marketed without mentioning any designers.

Of course you may see similarities to known Okkolin vases (Stromboli, Chimney) and you could even say it probably is his design.

By the way, the size, RL vases usually were either 16, 18, 22, 28 or 20, 25, 30cm so I would guess yours might be of the 25cm size.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 07:52:53 AM »
thanks for the helpful reply px - and appreciate your interesting comments :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand