No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vistosi table lamp  (Read 3999 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Vistosi table lamp
« on: May 17, 2011, 12:23:14 AM »
Apologies for the quality of the image - it was taken at a fair on my crummy old mobile phone. I didn't think to take a proper photograph after I bought it or before I packed it away.  ::)

It's a large dome of black/hyalith glass with cased opal-white interior, with a triple-cased (white/blue/clear) snake-like tube for the lamp fittings and cable coiling around the side.

Any clues on the designer? Feels very late 1970s / early 80s post-modernist.

Thanks in advance!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Vistosi table lamp
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 07:32:11 AM »
Nic, I have no ideas to help but it is a gorgeous lamp  :mrgreen: wish I'd found it.
m

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 07:48:29 AM »
It is gorgeous. I like the economy and sheer cleverness of the design.

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 12:52:13 PM »
No ideas on the designer but what a COOL lamp you have there.  What great find!!  :hiclp:  Are there any labels on the lamp or signatures?

tam bam

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 02:43:37 PM »
Sadly not, but Design & Arts had larger versions on their website a while ago with the Vistosi attribution. Presumably they'd had a labelled one at some point.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 09:13:47 PM »
Ettore Sottsass did some design for  Vistosi - I don't suppose.... no, probably not, but it has that look doesn't it.
m

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 09:46:44 PM »
I didn't want to hope...  ;D

But, despite much Googling, I can't find anything that would link the design to Sottsass, unfortunately. In Mentasti's Venetian Glass 1890-1990 it's mentioned that his 1977 Vistosi series paved the way for similar designs.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 09:56:38 PM »
In my DK 2007 antiques price guide (Judith Miller) there are a pair of glass wall sconces which are black and white, black background but with white circles in them, sort of hemispherical shape with A.V Mazzega and Vetri Murano labels.  That's the nearest I can find at the mo.
m

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 11:27:41 PM »
I don't have that one on my shelf, but I'll look up the references. Ta.  :)

I'm also wondering if it might not be too off the wall to investigate Peter Shire as a possible designer, as it ticks a few of the boxes for his work (domes, or in the case of the larger versions, spheres, and serpentine shapes as a recurring theme, along with high-contrast colour combinations).

Not everything he produced for Vistosi was totally crazy postmodernism, and not everything of his was signed (Design & Arts have, in fact, carried a few of his known works unsigned in the past).

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 10:10:17 PM »
Nic, you could email them and ask. I want to know ;D (not that I'm impatient or anything).
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand