No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Isle of Wight crizzle stones and Holmegaard vases  (Read 2833 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Isle of Wight crizzle stones and Holmegaard vases
« on: May 18, 2011, 10:30:42 AM »
I am looking to sell the following, if anyone is interested email me (envelope icon to left) and we can work out the details.

Three crizzle stones made by Tim Harris at Isle of Wight Studio Glass in 2007 and 2009.

A group of three cylinder vases designed by Per Lütken and made at Holmegaard.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Isle of Wight crizzle stones and Holmegaard vases
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 06:52:04 PM »
Given the stampede of interest only existed in my imagination they are now all on ebay:  ;D

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/taffytickler/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 01:42:01 PM »
 :hi:

I see these fabulous Tim Harris Crizzle Stones are ending soon - good luck to all bidders :thup: :thup: :thup:

There aren't many of these around and I doubt Tim will be doing more - it was only as a tribute to his father and under a great deal of pressure from collectors that he was persuaded to make the few he did. He was very, very careful to make them quite different to his father's work so they would never be "confused" with each other.

I was wondering, though about the Frank Thrower glasses, John. I have a couple of Sharon champagne flutes (boxed pair) FT115/4 - and while they appear to be the same size and shape and dimensions as your claret glasses, my "flutes" are cut around the base of the bowl - are your glasses cut???? - I can't see in the picture!
or is this why yours are FT115/2 and mine are FT115/4?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 02:05:51 PM »
Thank you Sue for unashamedly bumping this thread. ;D

Re the Sharon glasses, as far as I can tell they were originally designed (in 1970) as plain glasses but are shown in a 1986 catalogue in three different cut styles. Mine are plain, yours sound like Sharon Flat Cut (FC), also shown is Sharon Eastern Promise with swirling cuts (EP) and Sharon Regatta with diagonal cuts (REG). All with matching decanters.

The dimensions of the claret glasses and champagne flutes is similar, though the flutes look a little more slender. The wine goblets are bigger again and the sherries smaller.

Information from Dartington Glass, The Art of Frank Thrower, the First Twenty Years (ISBN 978-0-9556095-0-3).

FT115/1 - sherry.
FT115/2 - claret.
FT115/3 - goblet.
FT115/4 - champagne.

So the full nomenclature for your glasses Sue would be FT115/4 FC.

John

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 02:15:21 PM »
According to Dartington Crystal the Sharon design is considered by the V&A to be one of the hundred greatest ever products: http://www.dartington.co.uk/drinkware/crystal-collections-1/sharon.html

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 02:25:49 PM »
Mine are "Regatta" - so says the white sticky label on the base of the box. (I wasn't actually looking there :-[ )

And the box also has the black circular sticker on it saying it was selected for the 100 Best Ever Products exhibitions at the V&A, London, Jan-Feb, 1985.

I wish I could afford to go for one of the Crizzles - I do have rather a penchant for unique and very limited edition Tim Harris "Specials".
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand