No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue and white dartington bowl  (Read 2102 times)

Offline fattystratty1

• Members
Blue and white dartington bowl
« on: May 18, 2011, 03:58:02 PM »
I have this blue and white Dartington bowl. It is 23.5 cm across and 5 cm high. It has a stamp on the pontil and it also  has a very small acid etch Dartington  as well. I cant find any information about this bowl and would like too know more .

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Blue and white dartington bowl
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 05:52:17 PM »
It's part of the Dartington Studio range.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 06:04:35 PM »
There should be an image of "two pontil irons with a blob of glass at each end" as your pontil mark stamp.

Dartington Studio was a very short-lived enterprise - they were handmaking some very adventurous pieces - loosely based as tributes to other, more classical designs and using the original techniques and materials. For example, when they did their ruby twisted bits, they did actually use gold to colour the glass. However, it proved too costly to survive.

I believe the plate you have is loosely based on Monart and WMF - with the use of the "Crizzle" technique(That's what it's called when done at Mdina, although I have been told the official generic name is "primavera"). This involves dunking a hot gather into cold water at some point to crack the surface. It is then further blown and cased.

Pieces don't turn up to often, they're mostly pretty fabulous.
(I can't stand the ruby twisted bits - a bit pink-pretty-frilly for me)

I believe they have another, more current, range of "Studio-style" pieces, under the name of Innovate.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline fattystratty1

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 10:41:36 PM »
Thanks for that Christine and Sue. I've read the previous posts on this site about Dartington studio which is a good job because their still isn't anything out there on the web.I bought this vase the other day at a flea market for a £5. I didn't have a clue to what it was but was intrested in the imprest mark, it wasn't till I got home that I saw the dartington name on the bottom.

Henry

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 10:20:31 AM »
I'm honestly not sure that there is enough of the stuff around to encourage any sort of "collector base", this may well be why there's not much info about it on the web - that and it's recency.
I bought some, new, in 2001.
I don't imagine their history has been written yet!

The little info I have about it, I gained from the Stuart Factory shop in Crieff. Having bought my first bits in Dundee, I found some more in Crieff - didn't buy it, but changed my mind later - but there was nothing left - so I ended up getting the bit I wanted specially made. I got the info. from the staff in the shop when they were dealing with Dartington to get my bit made. I imagine it's correct. They were sort of going under financially at that time.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline fattystratty1

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 11:17:03 AM »
Thanks for that Sue, I think I'll keep hold of this piece for a while then which wont be hard because its really nice and the more I look at it the more it grows on me.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 01:26:45 PM »
I do like this piece, Henry!   :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  I was with Peter M in Lancaster when he found a similar one some years ago, and have always regretted not beating him to it!  >:D I have one Dartington Studio vase which is on the board somewhere (as is Peter's piece) but they are few and far between as Sue says.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 02:00:55 PM »
The pieces are beautifully made to the highest of standards, and quite different enough from the older work they are tributes to, to not ever be mistaken for them - besides, they're well marked. :smg:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand