No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Extraordinary Sommerso Cut Vase (Czech vs Murano)  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Glas Vasen

• Members
    • Glas Vasen and more
Extraordinary Sommerso Cut Vase (Czech vs Murano)
« on: May 19, 2011, 11:53:45 AM »
I was shocked and surpriesed when I saw this Sommerso cut Vase,

It’s dated from the Designer Hlava Pavel from the Manufacture Borske Sklo in Novy Bor in Czechia. Lit.  The Triennale in Milano 1960 in Italy

And I Saw/Read this object in Judith Miller Book 20th Century glass,( page 36). Attribution as a Murano Vase. In other lecture Designed from Flavio Poli in the mid-60s. etc…

So my thoughts if Hlava Pavel have Designed this Sommerso Cut Vase, I guess he made this end of the 50s (1958 or 1959) also before Flavio Poli

Hmm this brings me to a dead end, but is very interesting to see in the same time/period two identical Art Object from two different countries.

P.S. I’m not professional in Art Glass, just Collecting Glass and want my Vases given an attribution from Designer & County.
But more I get in this matters, I try to get more background, of this fantastic Glass Object’s.

Sergio

http://glas-vasen.ch
Glass vases gallery Invite you.     P.S.  do not forget to use your scroll wheel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Extraordinary Sommerso Cut Vase (Czech vs Murano)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 01:45:35 PM »
Like always a new interesting design is almost certain to to be copied ASAP by the opposition.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 02:29:52 PM »
I would say that this is simply a wrong attribution by the Sypka auction house. (Jindrich has already mentioned in a previous thread that there were several misdiscribed items in their former catalogues.)
IMO this is a nice Murano vase (I have 3 of those), and has got nothing to do with Pavel Hlava.

Michael

Offline Glas Vasen

• Members
    • Glas Vasen and more
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 03:41:01 PM »
This can by Michael

But as well many Designers left her shed, and bring his Knowledge to others Manufacture’s.

I won’t say, is made from Pavel, but in this Style of Cut Glass or Faceted Design or any Cased Glass in Hexagon and Block Vases Style is Made from several Manufacture in other Country’s.

For Example by the Scandinavian Glass Nuutajärvi Notsjö by Kaj Franck or Joska Waldglashütte Bodenmais look on Image

I only see that it is very heavy actually a attribution to make

Sergio

Glass vases gallery Invite you.     P.S.  do not forget to use your scroll wheel

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
Michael is absolutely right. This attribution is ridiculous as this is a very well known Murano vase, not by Poli, btw, but made--and still being made--by Mandruzatto. If you check the CGR for the Milan Triennial (November/December issue, 1960), you'll see that Hlava did have facet cut sommerso vases there, typical of Exbor production, but nothing like the vase in question.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 08:18:38 AM »
Langhaugh we know ALL sommerso pieces were made by Poli... :ooh:

Offline Glas Vasen

• Members
    • Glas Vasen and more
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 09:01:50 AM »
   I spend € 32 quit on this 3 brochures,    I should buy me a Vase instead of this tree Booklets.

Any Idea where to find records or lecture notes from Milano Triennial XII 1960

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand