No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 'Rare' Carnival glass vase  (Read 8868 times)

Offline chuggy

• Members
'Rare' Carnival glass vase
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 10:29:11 PM »
Were all punchbowls made with stands?, the blue one in the garagehasn't got a stand, and I think is probably 1960's in date.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 10:33:56 PM »
Quote from: "chuggy"
I think it was actually a puchbowl base, but a much earlier one, I know they inverted it and called it a vase, but I'm pretty sure it was a base.
Paul

Aw, well I thought it was nicer as a vase anyway.  :D

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 10:36:57 PM »
Well Bargain Hunt certainly managed to get their facts totally mangled regarding that punch set.

The main part was an Indiana "Harvest" punch bowl and 12 cups in Indiana's "Iridescent Gold" colouring. It was made circa 1974 ish...and certainly not the earlier date suggested by either the auctioneer or the "expert". It comprised a punch bowl and 12 cups and the original also had a plastic ladle.

The "base" was the bottom section of an Imperial Glass Co "Fashion" punch set. It was NOT (as the auctioneer incorrectly stated) originally a vase. It was originally sold as the base of a punch set. Made from around 1911, and considered to be Classic Carnival Glass.

The value (in my experience) of the Harvest punch sets varies between around £20 to £50 or so in the UK. I have seen people asking £200 for blue sets, but that really is crazy. Just check them out on eBay and you'll get an idea of their availability and price.

I have a blue Indiana Harvest punch set - and a full set of blue goblets and tall tumblers. I use them! At Carnival parties they are great for serving drinks. I don't display them with my Carnival collection!

The "Fashion" punch base would be more valuable with the top, and the 6 punch cups and original metal hooks. Value of a full set varies between maybe £60 to £120 in the UK. Value of the base alone? Well it depends if you have the rest of the set without a base! Or if you're in dire need of a "vase".  :lol:

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 10:37:17 PM »
From what I have read, when they were sold originally, you could buy a  punch bowl set, standard or with stand.
Glen will certainly be able to shed more light on this for you, I am sure.
I bet it looks great in blue :?:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 10:46:48 PM »
I've just seen the several comments and questions above...I was busy writing my screed and didn't spot all those arriving.

There are some punch sets that were actually made with intentional multi-purpose bases. Dugan, for example, made a punch set called "Many Fruits" by collectors, that had a base that "doubles" as a comport. Dugan also made a punch set known as "Stork & Rushes" which did indeed have a base that they marketed as a true vase. It is called "Summer Days".

Now if we look at European Carnival, they went the whole hog with multi-use. Large table centrepieces for fruit were made up of big fruit bowls and bases that were actually other shapes "upturned". In Sowerby catalogs you can see sugar bowls and celery vases used in that way - as indeed you can in Brockwitz catalogs. Brockwitz "Curved Star" pattern has a master bowl with a central ring on the "marie" that fits into the upturned bases of both celeries and sugar bowls!

Vases were used that way too. If you look at my article on Brockwitz "Regina" you will see the vase shown as both a vase (proper) and as the base of a fruit dish set

http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/Regina.html

I wonder if this thread ought to be in the main "Glass" section? It's engendered some good glass discussion.

Glen
Continued on page 2>>>>>>>

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 10:51:00 PM »
Were all punch bowl sets made with stands?

Well yes, the early Classic USA ones were.

The Indiana "Harvest" ones comprise only the large bowl that stands flat on the surface. NO stand. 12 cups and plastic hooks and a plastic ladle. They were issued in a large squarish cardboard box. It's possible to find them with the box which is rather nice. They are 30 years old now, don't forget. And Indiana is becoming collectible. It is, however, classed as "Contemporary Carnival Glass".

Glen

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 11:20:32 PM »
We had a thread last June about a "Fashion" punch base. In it, I posted an old ad that shows the original item. Here it is
http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/LEEads2.html

And here's the original thread.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1585.0.html
Glen

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 07:15:26 PM »
Actually, I had been wondering why the phone bidder pushed the price up without being there. I wondered if, in fact, he had been told that it was a punch bowl and base, with 12 cups, and the pattern on the bowl was grapes and leaves. He could have envisaged it might be a Classic Carnival Glass, Northwood Grape & Cable Master (Banquet size) punch set.

Just for your interest, a blue one of those (that's the old Carnival G&C Master punch set made by Northwood) sold last weekend at a Florida Convention (SSCGA) for $7,700. At the same Convention, a white one sold for $10,000. There wasn't a marigold set there, but a master (12 cups) would sell in the region of $2000 plus.

Glen

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2006, 09:22:50 PM »
I'll dig mine out of the garage over the weekend just to check what it is. I bought the bowl and 12 cups for a fiver a few years back and it's lovely full of Pimms in summer.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2006, 09:34:15 PM »
Probably the Indiana set, Chuggy. They turn up in the UK quite a lot. Chance of coming across a Northwood Grape & Cable Master Punch set in the UK pretty much like winning the Eurolottery  :lol:

Looking forward to hearing what it is. It could be Yoo Hoo.

Glen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand