No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Northwood Good Luck bowls  (Read 4138 times)

Offline chuggy

• Members
Northwood Good Luck bowls
« on: February 01, 2006, 08:50:18 PM »
Hopefully Glen or someone else can tell me, we have a very old blue Good Luck bowl which belonged to Joyces grandmother, who has been dead for 40 years. Are these desireable and at all rare, I've seen plenty of Marigold, but not many in blue, but my carnival glass knowledge is fairly minimal, someone help me out.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 11:06:58 PM »
Yes, most certainly desirable. Not rare, rare, rare (I have had a few over the years and certainly seen plenty) but it is a sought after piece. Interestingly, the UK seemed to get more than its fair share of these. Our theory has always been that they were shipped here and used as "Good Luck" tokens during WW1.

There are repros "out there" however, but you say "very old" so I guess you can trace it back for many years.

As to how valuable it is - well there are a number of variables.

The iridescence is very important. If it's vibrant and "electric" (like someone plugged it into the mains) then that's Good with a capital G. If it's kind-of silvery then it's not so desirable.

Condition is of course, very important - but you know that, of course.

Then there's the question of is it stippled or not. If it is stippled it has an extra "je ne sais quoi" in the desirability stakes. The iridescence sparkles that little bit more on stippled pieces.

And finally, the edge. If it's a ruffled edge, then it's more easily found. If it's a pie crust edge (crimped like granny used to do, with finger and thumb) then it's more exciting and more "money".

Has that helped? Putting an absolute figure on it is well nigh impossible. But it IS a good item to have.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 11:21:12 PM »
Hi

I think a blue 'Good Luck' bowl would be OK item to have - I sold these Marigold & Purple bowls (with good lights) iridescence about 18 months ago for over £300.00 (for 2)

I know that a good blue version is one up on both of these colours put together, is that correct Glen?

Any chance of a picture Paul?

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 11:26:00 PM »
Quote from: "David555"
Hi
I know that a good blue version is one up on both of these colours put together, is that correct Glen?

It depends. If the blue example is "knock your socks off" electric blue, with a pie crust edge and stippling....then yes.

G

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 07:31:36 AM »
Thanks folks, will post a picture this morning when the light improves a tad.
Paul

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 08:17:29 AM »
I had one of these many years ago; picked it up at a fleamarket in the morning for $6 and sold it later the same day for $100 (then the price guide price) to a US collector. Good luck indeed.

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 09:28:28 PM »
Here's pictures of inside and underneath, it has a lovely iridescence of purples and golds inside and a rich deep gold underneath. I've checked and it's definitely blue.

http://i1.tinypic.com/n2o3de.jpg

http://i1.tinypic.com/n2o5t1.jpg

So whats it worth not that we'll ever sell it being a family piece but SWMBO would like to know out of curiosity.
Paul

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 10:20:59 PM »
That's a beautiful bowl. It is ruffled and not stippled, but it has a lovely, soft, satin iridescence with plenty of rich highlights. You can tell it has been cherished.

What's it worth? I don't like giving values usually. They can be found in a number of books, websites etc., and it's always a tricky thing to do, as there are always exceptions, both higher and lower. But in the case of the Good Luck bowl, it's an item with an established history of fairly stable prices, so I'll tell you what my opinion is.

In the UK they usually sell between say £80 and £100. I've seen them less and I've seen them more. They tend to a slightly higher value in the USA as they are (proportionally) not seen quite as often as in the UK. Perhaps between $200 and $300 - again examples can go either side.

Glen

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 10:26:37 PM »
Thanks Glen, it's the only piece Joyce has from her Gran so it will never be going anywhere, but her curiosity is now satisfied.
Paul

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand