No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Waterstaining on an early Vizner vase for Sklo Union  (Read 5941 times)

Sklounion

Waterstaining on an early Vizner vase for Sklo Union
« on: February 01, 2006, 09:09:17 PM »
Hi,
You know how it is: You buy a piece of glass, no mention of damage. It arrives. Seller does not respond to queries.

You have a fine/desirable piece of glass, but with waterstaining/iridisation on your glass. Do you get philosophical and think; "Ooooh, what a opportunity to try out preparation X, (X, I said, concentrate, Corporal Jones), and if that fails, substance Y (white crystalline, mildly corrosive (Vim, what else did you think I meant)) or some marvellous spherical objects, (prefer a nice Calvados myself) to gently swirl round inside the glass, in the hope all your troubles will just disappear?

Or is it better just to go " oh happy day", and sling item in the bin?

Go on, who has a proven method to save me from despondency???

TIA,

regards,

Marcus

Mod: This thread has  information on chemicals to try to remove water damage, all of which is repeated elsewhere, but also has snippets of info about Sklo Union at the end.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Bitter disappointment or an opportunity
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 09:21:52 PM »
:cry: :D :cry:

Try various cleaning tricks, if that fails, fill it with water and put a bunch of flowers in it. Fill it with coloured water, put in the bathroom. Fill it with pebbles and stick sticks in it. Fill it with hydrating jelly stuff and plant a bulb in it. Give it to the cats as a drinking bowl/eating bowl. Use it to fill various things with water - the bird bath, other pot plants. Give it to a charity shop, but point out the damage, if you can't bear to look at it any more. Read the thread about nice ebay stories and think about your nice ones.

Go and cuddle your Vizner lamp base. :D

Remember the people who matter. :D :D :D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 09:30:12 PM »
Here's a list of solutions I have used on all sorts of staining, limescale etc. Some have worked brilliantly - but not on all marks - depends on the severity and if it has eaten into the glass.  What works on one kind of stain, doesn;'t work on another.  I have spent a fortune trying to remove staining from one particular item and would have been better off if I had spent £30 on having it professionally done...but here goes:
Coca cola
Vinegar and bicarb of soda
Cillet Bang (household product)
Viakal Lime scale remover
Harpic - toilet cleaner
Oxalic Acid - dangerous and hard to get now due to health and safety regs.

Have left all above solutions in glass for up to 48 hours.  Nothing is guaranteed until you wash it out leave to dry and see the result if any.

If you care about it that much - have a professional do it is my advice!!!
Will look forward to other solutions that may be suggested!

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 09:32:37 PM »
Hi Marcus

I so hate this - I have a beautiful Bengt Orup clear glass with round red top decanter - thing is the glass is effected same as yours, not mildew or scaling. Something more insidious (maybe the water, lime content) put in it over the years has caused an etched effect - almost acid treated look. I can see the build up/or etching in like a map.

I have about six other items like this, including a very expensive Murano Faceted sommerso vase and a piece of Flygsfors.

It so annoys me that I can't have them on show - I have been told the only solution (sic) is a light polishing  :roll:  :roll:

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 09:38:09 PM »
Erm Marcus...water damage is permanent, it's eaten into the very fabric of the glass, so you're pretty well stuffed if your item has that.  You can only cosmetically cover it, unless you get it tumbled.

I've had a spate of damaged goods on Ebay recently.  It really ****** me off too!   :evil:  :evil:

Edit:  :idea:  I'm thinking of becoming an Ebay Buddhist.  Then I won't care about it.
I am not a man

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 10:13:58 PM »
:D :cry: :D

Sympathies, {{{Max}}}

Marcus see the archived thread at:-

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,286.0.html

I had a beautiful lampshade arrive in a thousand pieces. Lit, it would have looked like the top of a cherry tree, covered in blossom, (except it was orange). It was FAB.  :cry::cry::cry: Seller gave an immediate refund, including postage, so full marks there, just why,oh, why did he pack such a delicate thing in a tight, thin box with only one layer of bubblewrap?
My next-door-neighbour is an artist, on the lookout for interesting materials for making mosaics. I gave him the bits. :P
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 10:16:39 PM »
My next-door-neighbour is an artist, on the lookout for interesting materials for making mosaics. I gave him the bits.

Excellent recylcing Sue!  I think we've had this conversation before, but I can't bear to throw away damaged glass.  A mosaic glass artist would be a Godsend!
I am not a man

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 10:20:24 PM »
:shock::lol::shock:

Max, YOU are an artist!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 10:24:11 PM »
Quote from: "chopin-liszt"
:shock::lol::shock:

Max, YOU are an artist!

Yeah, but not a mosaic one!  Erm...although I have done a couple of mosaic pieces.  Glass is sharp though, that's the problem.  I wouldn't want to make something that slashes at people!  lolol!
I am not a man

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 11:45:43 PM »
Quote from: "chopin-liszt"
Give it to the cats as a drinking bowl/eating bowl.

:D Only last night when I was putting the bowl of water down in my bedroom for the cats night-time drinkies, I noticed that the piece of plastic sheet I put it on was looking a bit manky and thought to myself, "I must get a proper place-mat for this!" (Two of the cats being Bengals, they tend to splash when they drink  :roll: )

Then I suddenly remembered my Walther 'Nymphen' (mermaid) tray, which was cracked and which I had repaired by that wonderful Basil Loveridge  :D  A little while ago I was lucky enough to get a replacement in perfect condition so I put the original away.  (I couldn't just chuck it out 'cos it's still very beautiful - and I did pay for it to be repaired!   :roll:  )

So now the cats have their night-time drink on a beautiful glass tray!   :D  I just hope those spoilt girls appreciate it!  :twisted:  :wink:  :lol:
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand