No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb's uranium optic moulding  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Webb's uranium optic moulding
« on: May 23, 2011, 07:57:05 PM »
Naturally, with my passion for Webb, I just couldn't leave this behind.     Although I can't find an exact illustration/picture of this particular design - according to Andy MacConnell's/Millers guide - which is as close as I can get, this sort of pattern is described simply as 'optic moulding'.    I think it must simply be green uranium glass, and I'm assuming it's not eau-de-nil from the Gay glass range.        I wonder if it was the source of the Borske factory's idea for the 'large olives' pattern :)    I don't know whether it was Richardson or Webb who first started this multi-optic pattern - but having examples of both, I think that Richardson produced the higher quality looking pieces.    Apparently, Webb swallowed up Richardson around 1930, but contined to knock out material with this type of patterning although carrying the Richardson back stamp.  Does anyone know if this particular optic-moulding had its own name?
P.S.  Am I right in saying that the images of Webb's material, on David Encell's site, have disappeared  -  or am I just not doing something right?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Webb's uranium optic moulding
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 07:57:49 PM »
should have added the height, which is 7.25"

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 11:56:33 PM »
 :o :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 07:51:15 AM »
thanks Keith  -  thought you might turn green. ;D    Presumably not a common mould pattern - as this is the first I have seen.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 07:58:20 AM »
P.S.  Am I right in saying that the images of Webb's material, on David Encill's site, have disappeared  -  or am I just not doing something right?
www.glassyeye.com is what you mean, Paul? Seems like the site didn't synchronise properly during my last update and some images went AWOL. I've just refreshed the pages and all images that were there before should now be in place. One day I'll get round to adding more to that site. So much to do, so little time, time, time... to do it in
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 08:00:31 AM »
Meant to say that I also have one in that pattern and size, but mine is without a mark so it's nice to see it confirmed definitely as Webb (although possibly made at Richardson's?). I always wanted a matching pair...  :angel: ;D
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 09:12:18 AM »
sincere apologies David - unforgivable to misspell your name  -  it's not as though I haven't seen it many time before :-[      Yes, it was the 'glassyeye' site that I had in mind, and unfortunate that you have experienced some problems  -  although glad to hear all seems o.k. again.        With your collection and knowledge, would you consider producing a budget publication purely on Webb or maybe Webb/Richardson  -  or alternatively might you consider including a far greater range of pieces on the webb site?? (no pun intended).       Regret to say that wild horses could not remove this piece from my possession  -  many other things I might part with - but not this, so you will have to live with a single example for the time being.   thanks again :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 09:15:34 PM »
David has far too many other books (two of his own just for a start) in progress to finish before he can start on the Webb one LOL

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 08:37:16 AM »
I should have looked in the Barrie Skelcher books first. :pb:   I now see that he includes one example - (in each of the books below) - of what appears to be an identical optically moulded pattern, to my bowl (yet more different shapes) - although he states that both of his examples are marked with the 'Richardson British' backstamp.   We know that Webb continued to make these pieces after their take-over of Richardson, also that they continued to use the Richardson name on some pieces after that date.        Due to various attributes of one of HIS pieces, this author expresses his opinion that the manufacturing date was prior to the take-over.           Therefore, does this imply that the original moulds for all these optically moulded pieces had their origin at Richardson, or that both companies were making similar patterned items independently, prior to 1930 ish.?
Refs.   'The Big Book of Vaseline Glass'.......and.....'Vaseline Glassware - Fascinating Flourescent Beauty.  -     Bary Skelcher   - Schiffer.     

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 12:41:18 PM »
With your collection and knowledge, would you consider producing a budget publication purely on Webb or maybe Webb/Richardson  -  or alternatively might you consider including a far greater range of pieces on the webb site?? (no pun intended).

As Christine points out, I do have quite a few titles to consider: two of my own (Chance Additions; Chance Reflections), plus:
1. Shirley Hibberd: The Father Of Amateur Gardening, by Anne Wilkinson (due in Autumn 2011)
2. Glasses in Bloom: 300 Years of Bulb Vases in Great Britain, by Patricia Coccoris (launch in February 2012)

Both are making good progress but to detriment of my own titles - not unsurprising, although 'Additions' is quite close to completion. But I was considering a book on 20th century glass from Thomas Webb (plus associated companies) at some stage, even if it would never be a good seller. It would be nice to broaden this remit to one on 20th century Stourbridge art glass, but I feel this is a too wide-ranging unless someone else has the time. However, I don't think this would ever be a "budget" title - I don't do budget!  8) And as with all my own titles, none are particularly profitable when too many people are reluctant to buy books nowadays with so much data on the internet. They are written and produced purely for my own pleasure and satisfaction, and because I can.

As for adding more images to my Webb site ( :D ) it is something I'd like to do, but it is down to finding free time when I have many other commitments; producing a whole range of greetings cards; progressing with a design heritage web site with Denis; designing and producing all the books; maintaining all the web sites, etc.

Another book I have been researching on the back of Chance Reflections is one on the history of the Birmingham glass industry (sometimes a consequence of researching one area, that another comes on the radar!)

But I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those people who have purchased any/all of the titles I have published in the past.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand