No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amethyst coloured vases from Belgium?  (Read 8200 times)

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
Amethyst coloured vases from Belgium?
« on: February 02, 2006, 10:34:06 PM »
http://www.hogelandshoeve.nl/30glass/main3.html
I am looking for help in identifying a group of vases (see above)

They are usually offered on e-bay as coming from Boom in Belgium, although I have recently learned that this is not correct. (Although the moulds /shapes from Boom DID go 'missing' after being transported to Bossus in 1970)

We have been able to find several pairs and groups around the east of Belgium and south of Holland. the purple shade varies from light to dark (almost black), but we sometimes see skyblue, amber, fumee. There seems to be the hand of the same artist in all the designs. (?!)
Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 11:23:08 PM »
Boom Glass

I fixed the link for you - everyone use this to get to Jay's Web pages

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 08:07:46 AM »
Can you please tell us how you found out they are not from Boom? The mass produced soda vases from Boom are nothing like the black decorated Paul Heller items from the same factory that books and articles concentrate on. Have you ever seen one of these with a label or partial label?

Offline Jay

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 09:09:35 AM »
OK, Ivo. Here is the literal text'  received from emabb and the exhibition/book organisers.

"
Wat betreft de vazen "Booms Glas".
Een duidelijk ja of nee heb ik niet gekregen.
Hieronder het antwoord van iemand bij wie ik te rade ging:

"Deze vazen zijn voor heel veel Nederlanders Boomse vazen. Wij hebben dikwijls aan mensen die deze vazen voor BOOMS GLAS verkopen gevraagd hoe zij zo zeker weten dat het BOOMS is. Geen enkele persoon hebben we gevonden die ons dat kan bevestigen. Ik weet dat deze vazen in Nederland heel goed in de markt liggen en ze daar als BOOMS GLAS worden verkocht. Dus voor zover wij deze vazen nagezien hebben (en ook de vazen die het dichtst bij de bekende modellen van Boom komen) is er toch steeds een verschil in bepaalde vorm of grootte enz., de oud-werknemers herkennen deze vazen ook niet direct.
Er is wel een ander verhaal dat je al eens hoort en dat ze zeggen, nl. dat deze vazen veel zijn meegenomen door schippers maar weer GEEN BEWIJS gevonden dat het BOOMS is.
Je komt ze wel vrij veel tegen en wij zouden ook graag weten van waar deze vazen afkomstig zijn.
Ik hoop je hierbij een stap verder geholpen te hebben en zodra wij meer hierover gevonden hebben, hoor je van ons."

Van de anderen kreeg ik eveneens ongeveer hetzelfde antwoord. "

For English readers...
".... the people associated with the factory do not 'recognise' these items, although they are aware that they are often 'called' Boom by people in the 'trade'. The moulds appear similar but not identical to the Boom catalogue.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 12:07:50 PM »
I know that the factory at Boom had an immense output and that they produced commission work, which would explain why not all models conform to the list and not all workers would be in the know. For many years Rimac items were produced in Boom - and those were all exclusives from client owned moulds. There will also have been others.

I'd stick to Boom for most (if not all) of your collection for the time being, at least until such time that you can prove they were produced elsewhere.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 12:25:10 PM »
I'm interested in the fact that they look so much like our melon rib vases designed by our mysterious Professor Stern in 1939, but obviously slightly different shapes. Australian Melon Ribs are irridised in many different colours, marigold, and sometimes in their "flakestone" range, but never appear in amethyst.

Stern would have come out from Europe just before the war, but I have no idea what happened to him during or after the war. He disappears from the records in 1939, so he could have been interned (like other Crown Crystal employees). What happened afterwards? I just wish I had a first name, because there were hundreds of Stern families who emigrated in 1939.

32 to 81, you say. Hmmm. Could Stern be a Belgian name? (Drawing a very, very long bow here....)

Here are a few of mine (copied across from the Cafe thread).

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4372

It's possible they are completely unrelated, but wouldn't it be nice if they were...

Offline Jay

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 01:14:05 PM »
That is very interesting Ivo. Can I ask the nature of the evidence that Rimac was produced at Boom. It's a question I've also been asking!
The finish is more polished and the weight of the Rimac glass is much heavier than the rest of Boom's output though, isn't it? Was there a 'different' recipe used?

Fascinating Kathy. The design idea is certainly very similar. Some of these forms are also found from bohemian factories though, so perhaps we should be seeing them as 'semi-traditional' rather than as the handwork of a named designer?!

The rosebowl/pot-porri bowls with a stepped upper section on a bowl-shaped base are a good example I think. Virtually identical in design they can be traced to at least dozens of factories. If they are not distinctive or marked then they may well prove impossible to trace, because they are almost 'generic' to every glass producer of the period. Hyacinth glasses have similar problems with identification. :)

I've been learning more and more about the history of designs and the production of moulds. We know that glass blowers moved around a lot, and they certainly didn't see much problem in taking the 'designs' with them, or remaking moulds to replace those that had been left behind at a past job.

In general terms the idea of protecting a design internationally is a post-war phenomenon.

I am in the process of redoing my site, and there will be much more information there in a few weeks time.

One of the features on my site is a 'glass ID quiz' which reflects what I am learning about identification, and I would love to have a picture of one of your pot-pourri vases to include in the new quiz!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 06:57:12 PM »
mail me je telefoon# dan breng ik je in kontakt met degene die alle dokumentatie daarover heeft.  
ivo haanstra één woord apestaart xs4all punt nl

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 07:35:08 PM »
Jay, I presume you know that your
light blue fruit bowl at € 8 is
Walther SIGRID ?
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Jay

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 08:30:24 PM »
Yes, Pamela (thanks to your site, probably)

I'm learning so fast I can hardly keep the website up to date!

In fact Sigrid is probably responsible for our interest in pressed glass. We have examples in seven or eight colours, and they are all attractive (IMHO). Ruby, sea blue and lemon yellow are my favourites!
We have quite a good collection of Walther, but we are really mainly interested in Maastricht, Leerdam and Boom.
But when we see a good Walther (or Dartington/Bagley, etc.) going for this sort of money we just can't say no! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand