No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another 'S' mark for identification - ID = John Stonier & Co. of Liverpool  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
In view of the similarity of these deep mitre cuts with a recent piece of known Stuart, I thought there was a good chance that this might be the same source - even though this doesn't carry a full back stamp - so that is why it's posted here.   The only mark is on the underside, and is an upper case S (which looks almost like a figure 2).    This S is quite different from the Webb Corbett 'S' (used to indicate approximate date of manufacture) - which we've discussed before  -  neither is it like the  =S= (also discussed before, and which from memory indicates maritime use).     So a bit confused, and wondering if this may indeed be an abbreviation for Stuart.    Very deep mitres around the edges and likewise on the star cut base, which reminded me very much of the earlier dish.   Diameter is something like 10.5" - 265mm, and with considerable wear, so guess quite likely pre 1940 ish.     What do people think of this 'S' -  and thanks for looking :)      

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Another 'S' mark for identification
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 09:18:33 PM »
thank you     Yes, I did remember this thread, although thought, from memory, that the S had to be over a Plimsoll Line to qualify for the maritime connection -  I do in fact have a sherry glass, sporting this double line.      So, conclusion is that almost certainly a Stuart manufactured piece, and possibly the later more angular S with hints of corners.      Given another 50 years, I might just acquire the full service.  

P.S.   having trouble with my PC currently, and see that I have added this comment to the original thread, by mistake.    Grateful if the mods. will remove please :pb: [Mod: removed from other thread as requested]

Offline Paul S.

• Members
my sincere thanks to all, and to Bernard especially, of course.     May I be picky and suggest that the main thread listing might possibly be more encompassing if shown as .....id Stuart/Stonier.....unless of course you feel that there is an outstide chance that material was sourced from someone other than Stuart  -  it might help in future searches.     Just a suggestion :)

Offline neilh

• Members
According to their account books of 1929, Molineaux & Webb's biggest customer was Stonier & Co.

I went through the account books the other year - data can be found here:

http://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/history/a---1929

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand