No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: request for picture of Webb decanter stopper.  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
request for picture of Webb decanter stopper.
« on: May 29, 2011, 06:50:33 PM »
Thought the single word back stamp meant I had found a really early piece of Webb - but the script is wrong, I'm sure.     However, the mark doesn't seem to fit accurately with any of the later ones either  -  do people think it is somewhere post 1950 and has just lost is nationality :), or might it be earlier?     But the point is that it was very cheap, and I bought it without the stopper - so would be very grateful if someone can post a picture of the correct stopper so that I know what to look for, as I'd really like to complete the piece.     Sorry the pictures are a bit iffy, I had only just cleaned the piece and it still has some moisture inside.     I didn't think the body No. was very English looking, and if I saw this on an unknown piece, might have thought it was continental - I assume it is trying to say 27.  - height is about 10" - 255mm.    thanks for looking. :)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: request for picture of Webb decanter stopper.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 08:34:12 PM »
Paul;my little book gives the date 1906-35 for that mark,bit general but a start maybe ;D

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 09:08:26 PM »
Continental 7 would usually have a cross bar through it Paul.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 08:02:49 AM »
thanks Keith  -  and for a quick and easy reference on British marks, I look in Dodsworth's 'British Glass between the wars'.   The script he shows for the earliest of the Webb marks is light and finer than the rather thick and heavy later 'Webbs' - so I considered this one was later - but confusing that the word is on its own.   I'm hoping that someone will recognize this particular decanter and let me know the date range of production.     Of course, you may be correct, possibly, although I'm still inclined to think mine is post 1930  ish.
Anne  -  yes, I realize that a 'cross bar' is missing  -  some twenty or more years ago I picked up this non-English habit myself, and now can't writ a 'seven' without it.    Just thought that the No. of this piece looked so 'flowery' for an English style, which is usually more plain.   
Anyway, back to my stopper :)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 11:24:32 AM »
I would agree with the dating 1906 - 35 . i will let you know what the stopper is like later , if memory serves me right i think a globe shape pulled down from the bottom to curve in and then out to make the neck before the peg , indented pattern as per decanter .
 PS visualise a standard  hot air baloon with a round basket thats it fairly plain .

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 06:12:32 PM »
thanks jp  -  especially for confirming Keith's dating, and look forward to a picture if possible. :)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 12:46:57 PM »
Hi,

Sorry to disagree with you on this occasion John, but the ones I own and have had in the past have a pointed stopper, running down to a rounded base, then into a waist before widening slightly for the peg. Tear-drop form with a wide base, might be another way of describing it. Then the surface is rippled to match the base. Also made made Tudor Crystal.

Sorry, mine aren't accessible, so no piccy.

Nigel

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 07:25:26 PM »
 :hi: Nigel you may be right for a change ;) as i have just found my set it looks very similar but has a three lip flange and a stopper as i described , it also has 6 glasses and a finger bowl . See you at Reflect glassfair Kensington 12 June . :tsk:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 03:06:12 PM »
Wading through the pictures in Charles Hajdamach's '20th Century British Glass', I see that there is a Webb's plain suite pattern called 'Ribbonette' - and is shown as having a tear drop shaped stopper.       This was introduced in 1910 and was, apparently, still being offered in the 1927 - 29 catalogue - which would cover the date of my piece.      Perhaps this is similar to the correct shape for my decanter.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 11:44:14 PM »
Hi Paul,

Yes, precisely what I was trying to describe ;) :)

Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand