No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina perfume bottle??  (Read 945 times)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
Mdina perfume bottle??
« on: May 31, 2011, 10:12:23 PM »
Gut feeling this has gotta be mdina although it isnt marked its 4" tall nice weighty little thing and very preety the base area and around the rim has a fair amount of bubbles and the base almost appears cased? im wondering what sort of date of manufacture also,..thanks :vkg:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Mdina perfume bottle??
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 07:44:02 AM »
It might be, can't say I have seen that blue and white spiral from Mdina though. How is the base finished? Much wear?

Have you had a look at Mdina's website to see if this is a colourway they use?

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 09:19:35 AM »
Hi John Its polished flat plenty of wear also thanks i thought it looked like the early mdina colours will dig a bit more cheers :smg:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 11:59:28 AM »
This could be a difficult one!

It looks like early-ish colours, the spiral design was more often executed in Earthtones, originated by Michael Harris and continued development at IoWSG as Tortioseshell.

A spiral of blue over yellow may indicate an early "experimental" origin for this bit......

BUT, while it appears to have a "button rim", when it comes to this shape of perfume bottle, it is a later and very common shape - the button rim is merely a designated feature of the bottle - it is NOT indicative of an early button rim at all.

So, it has some features which may indicate Harris-early, it also has features which strongly indicate post-Harris general production.
 :thud:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 12:24:39 PM »
It's also possible that it is Chinese, I think I have seen similar in TK Maxx but not in those colours.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 01:26:04 PM »
It is something you need to get your sticky mitts on to be sure-er isn't it?

I went to TKMaxx at the weekend, to have a look at what's coming out of the far east. I was very surprised by how good some of it was, and at the newer features being used - lots of Batutto cut, lots of things with what is either crude glitter or maybe even be mica in them (I didn't have my close-up, peering glasses with me).

Some of it was really well executed and delicate, BUT the big giveaway was at the end of a few minutes handling it, my hands felt that horrible gritty greasy way and they absolutely stank of acetic acid. Not a nice vinegary smell, but a BDH Winchester of pure chemical smell. eeeee-yeuwk!  :-X

Maybe leave this bottle alone for a while - don't wash it, see if it gets greasy and smelly. That would rule out or in a Chinese attribution.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 01:38:05 PM »
It wouldn't rule out a Chinese attribution, but it might rule it in.. My Chinese paperweights are all very well behaved.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 01:49:08 PM »
 :pb: Good point, Your Editorialshipness. :thud:  :-*

Are your pws older though, Christine? sort of '30s rather than brand new?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 01:57:21 PM »
Hi Folks i must apologise, The piece above is marked to the base mdina i failed to add this to the description when posting it because i felt that if i knew where something was made it shouldnt be listed in on this site, Sadly ive looked and cant find similar so was dying to find out a bit more about it hope i havent caused to many headaches i just thought someone might just reply and say its 1980s onwards or something heres the bottom picture sorry if ive offended anybody dan

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 02:04:15 PM »
 :24:

I didn't really go with the Chinese idea - now we know for sure! Don't fret about asking questions about things that are already marked - there are always still a lot more questions about a it!

That's an earlyish sort of script, though it appears over a good number of years - puts it somewhere from early '70s to mid eighties.... ish
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand