No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness Cog Vase  (Read 8291 times)

Offline sandymae

• Members
Caithness Cog Vase
« on: June 01, 2011, 05:52:04 AM »
I have this vase which I think is designed by Dennis Mann 1984. From reserch I've found that it was from the Wick Glassworks, which Caithness took over. I have found another on line, but my signature is different on the base. The one on the net has, Cog, DC CG, but mine has a longer name in front of cog. Can anyone help me with what it is?

Offline sandymae

• Members
Re: Caithness Cog Vase
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 05:53:27 AM »
Sorry, here's the base.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 12:14:07 PM »
These vases were made at Wick, they come in this blue set of colours and in ambery tones. Sometimes they have a sandblasted image on them, as your does, normally something sea-related, sometimes they're plain.
Dennis Mann is an engraver, I doubt he has anything to do with these.

I suspect your "Cog" is actually C 09, a date.

If you dust a little talcum powder over your mark, then run your finger over it to remove the dust from the surface, the marks might be easier to photograph and read.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 01:49:21 PM »
It is engraved, so Denis might have designed it. He did do designing for CG. The COG could be the engraver's signature.

Caithness didn't take over the Wick glassworks; it was where Caithness Glass started. There was no glass works there previously, as it was purpose built.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 01:52:19 PM »
ummmm - it's blasted, not engraved, Christine - it's NOT Denis Mann's work, honest! (though he may have designed it - I don't know)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline sandymae

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 08:58:13 PM »
chopin-liszt ,  Here is one identical to mine, COG is the design of the boat which is on the vase, not C 09. Also whats the difference blasted to engraved. I thought it looked engraved? This is my first Caithness, and love it, it's such a chunky piece of glass, and hope to learn more about Caithness.
Here is the link that I found to identify the vase.
http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=181&category_id=89&keyword=cog&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6

Will try the talcom powder, and take another photo. :X:

Offline sandymae

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 10:08:37 PM »
 :girlcheer: Talcum powder worked, here's a better photo.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 06:46:47 AM »
In that case your ID is good and your letters are probably just a product code, possibly incorporating the engraver's initials.  I think these have to be engraved not sand blasted. To use such a fine stencil would be extremely difficult

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 10:09:45 AM »
I've got one of these, and a hollow paperweight with a button top in this design, with a lobsterpot on it.
Both are sandblasted designs, not engraved. Honest.
I believe the new book out has the names and designers of the sandblasted pieces in it.

Sandblasting involves a stencil being stuck to the body of the vessel and blasting it with sand to make the pattern - it can be repeated and repeated fairly easily.

Etching can involve a stencil, more often made of wax, and uses acid to eat away at the glass.

Engraving is achieved by hand, using (very often) a copper wheel. The wheel turns (it is also lubicated) the engraver holds the glass to the wheel to cut away parts to make the design. Engraved pieces are unique.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 10:32:08 AM »
OK I surrender and I've got round to looking at the book. It's sandblasted (which sounds much more complex than engraving, though obviously quicker). The one on the website was blasted by Douglas Cowie. I think yours is Andrew Webster.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand