No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Request for id for Pink Celery vase - ID = S. Reich & Co.  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Request for id for Pink Celery vase - ID = S. Reich & Co.
« on: June 01, 2011, 01:53:05 PM »
Although it's probably the wrong colour, it does have some similarity to one of the Schrotter designs (although I think that design was in amethyst) - and I was sure I'd see it in either the Mark Hill or Marcus Newhall books  - just seems to look familiar with these swirls  -  but when it was cleaned at home I discovered the word Celery (often applied to vases in the period 1942 to the early 70's, to suggest a utility item rather than a luxury piece, and to avoid Purchase Tax).      Most unusually, the word CELERY is acid badged on the inside of the vase, and with the English spelling may well mean it was made in the UK.       Four mould seams - flat/ground outer rim on the base, and with some reasonable wear - so guess it could be from the '40's or 50's.     Height is something like 8" - 205mm  -  and is without doubt the largest 'Celery' I've seen yet - nearly big enough to force rhubarb.   I still think the colour looks a bit non-English.    Hope someone might recognize it, and thanks for looking. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Request for id for Pink Celery vase.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 01:59:56 PM »
meant to say that I've looked at Pamela's vases  -  although haven't tried the Masterbooks yet.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 02:52:21 PM »
There is only one spelling of celery... The fact that it's there at all means that it was for the UK market, as that was where the tax was being evaded.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 09:59:39 PM »
Came across this older thread when searching for something else. 

Paul, your vase is by S. Reich & Co. and is shown in their 1934 catalogue as no. 9116. As you and Christine have said though, yours will date from after the introduction of Purchase Tax.

1934 catalogue page on glas-musterbuch: http://glas-musterbuch.de/Reich-ca-1934.375+B6YmFja1BJRD0zNzUmcHJvZHVjdElEPTE0OTU1JnBpZF9wcm9kdWN0PTM3NSZkZXRhaWw9.0.html

Entry on Pamela's site: http://pressglas-pavillon.de/vasen/09749.html

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 11:01:34 AM »
thanks Steven  -  have to say that I'd long since forgotten this item  -  I have a short attention span ;D          However, appreciate the time you've taken to id this piece - one more very small but important piece of information in our glass encyclopedia. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand