No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possible Alum Bay vase.  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
possible Alum Bay vase.
« on: June 01, 2011, 04:51:19 PM »
No label unfortunately, and the colourway isn't typical, but the bubbles - the bottom 'kick' and the snapped pontil look right, with some wear on the base.     This isn't a current shape or colour as far as I can see, and get the feeling this might be something like 15 - 20 years old.   Height is about 7" - 175mm.      Anyone else agree that it could be Alum bay? :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: possible Alum Bay vase.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:37:41 AM »
I did in fact send these images to Colin Green at Alum Bay Glass, and have permission to quote his reply, received today, as follows:

""Hi Paul.
I would say this was made by our founder Michael Rayner.
It is the colour ONYX which though we still make it is slightly different now because we no longer use pure metal oxide onglaze colours.
It has many bubbles which could be the glass quality of that time or he could have dabbed the glass in marble powder to create the bubbles.
It also i see has a stripe of blue which we never used with this colour.
I would say 25 to 30 years old.

Kind regards          Colin Green""

Since this is not the first time Alum Bay have helped me with attributions, I would again express my sincere thanks to Colin Green for his continuing help with my questions.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 10:20:23 AM »
Fascinating, Paul. I looked and peered, but I couldn't give a yay or a nay to Alum Bay, on balance, I thought not, so I'm surprised - It's very nice, though - has some features and colours of a lovely Benny Motzfeldt piece I have, but the shape precluded her work.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 10:50:52 AM »
thanks Sue  -  I think it's the blue that 'makes it' for me - and I did think originally that maybe the maker had also perhaps tried to include all the colours of the Alum Bay coloured sands :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 11:08:36 AM »
My Benny bit has the same burnt orange and the same shade of blue bits - all streaky - and similar lovely bubblies - I think this is a really lovely thing you have!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand