No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: *Huge* Hourglass-Shaped Reticello Vase  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
*Huge* Hourglass-Shaped Reticello Vase
« on: June 02, 2011, 12:32:55 PM »
Giant and very heavy vase with reticello/trapped bubble decoration. Stands a whopping 415mm / 16.25" tall and is 210mm / 8.5" across.

Base is polished flat, and the top rim is polished and champfered on both inner and outer edges.

Any clues for the factory would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: *Huge* Hourglass-Shaped Reticello Vase
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 06:36:08 AM »
Nic:  I wouldn't automatically assume Murano, as some fabulous reticello is being made elsewhere right now. Last year on Maui I some beautifully done large-scale reticello done by a current US glass blower. Last week I saw an absolutely fabulus reticello bowl  sitting on a stem that had been hotworked into a human face that stood on a reticello base made by an Oregon glassblower. I wouldn't rule out Murano, but it might be good to cast your net a little wider.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 08:50:05 AM »
It was definitely sourced from Murano... so that was the most obvious assumption (I hope).

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 06:49:47 PM »
Nic:  That would make Murano a good bet, then.

The shape looked familiar and finally it occurred to me that it might be Dino Martens. He did reticello using those thick white stripes (A200 Model 6498 in the A. Toso catalogue, for example). None are shown in the hourglass shape but the catalogue shows very similarly shaped vases in other styles. The Intro to the catalogue (this is from Heiremans, Dino Martens) says that customers could mix and match shapes and techniques, so I'd say that Martens is a possibility.  The size concerns me somewhat, so you need someone who is more familiar with Martens than me (i know him through 2 little pieces I have and the book).

Just for interests sake, I'm including a link to an American who does fabulous reticello work, Kenny Pieper. He works in North Carolina, not Oregon as I first suggested. See the third frame on the left down, "Brian."

http://www.pieperglass.com/portrait_gal_frameset.htm

David

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 07:03:11 PM »
Martens would be nice!  :mrgreen:

I'll see what I can find with the info. Thanks.

And thanks for the link - there are some very fun pieces there with some unequivocally unexotic names! I want a glass called 'Brian'.  ;D

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 12:29:33 AM »
Ask and ye shall receive - just spotted one being offered by Design & Arts with the exact same shape/proportions/finish, with only slightly thinner white canes and no bubbles, attributed to Stefano Toso c.1990.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 12:43:48 AM »
The vase does not strike me as being Dino for Aureliano Toso for two reasons: the filigree is too loose and it is not on the outside of the vase. The A. Toso pieces have a certain look created by the small diamonds. The filigree is applied a fasce, so that the clear glass of the gather is all to the inside of the filigrana. Much or perhaps most of the Dino Martens pieces are referred to as filigree. There are points where the canes intersect that create the look of a little bubble, but there is not really a bubble there. (There are some pieces that have larger bubbles. I guess these are truly reticello.)

I don't know who did ps's vase. Both filigree and reticello are nice things to have. It would be nicer still if attributed. All the things that I've seen by Stefano Toso have been signed. (Of course, there may be some that are not, so I just wouldn't know they were by him.)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 01:56:49 AM »
I see what you mean, Anita, the filigrana is much tighter on the Martens.

It looks very much like a match for S. Toso on Design & Arts. I like your one better as the white filigrana stripes are thicker. 

David

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 06:47:30 AM »
I've had a couple of S. Toso pieces that were unsigned that matched known signed items, so it did happen.

I seem to remember that Design & Arts bought up a load of old Toso stock when he closed his factory (within the last few years?) - so the attribution should be sound.

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 03:36:20 PM »
S. Toso is Stefano Toso, as you all already know.  He use to work for Franco Moretti before venturing out on his own.  Stefano's work is extremely good by all means.    

I also agree with Anita that the filigree is too loose to be a Martins' piece.  Here is a true Dino Martins example:

http://kocoma-collection.blogspot.com/2011/06/rare-dino-martens-filigrana-vase-1950.html 

tam bam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand