No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Heavy spherical bowl & lid - anyone know what it is?  (Read 13420 times)

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
Re: Heavy spherical bowl & lid - anyone know what it is?
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2011, 12:45:09 PM »
Hey Rosie.  I knew you'd still be on the case!  You must have a list a mile long of stuff you're looking into for other folk and it is certainly much appreciated!  Yes, I'd love to get to the bottom of this one!
Nancy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2012, 07:06:20 PM »
Had a little frisson of excitement when I saw this glass box, signed Costebelle.  However, it's really only similar in that it's spherical, white and has a nice pattern.  Different size and the pattern is on the inside of mine.  Still, it does show that there a similar-ish items out there, so mustn't give up hope.
http://www.chinons.fr/voirplus-468-boite_art_deco_en_verre_signe_costebelle.html
Nancy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2012, 07:21:50 PM »
Oh Nancy,  that is the most exciting look-a-like find so far....frisson,  that was une terre véritable émouvant....and yes,  I never give up!! 
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2012, 07:35:36 PM »
I'm glad la terre moved for you Rosie!!!  Oh it would be just wonderful to find out more about it - there MUST be more out there as surely it was made from a mold.  And I know you never give up - thank goodness for us!  :)
Nancy

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2012, 07:12:06 AM »
Nancy I'm curious (having not reread the entire thread you understand  ;D) as to why they would have made a lidded box with a design on base and lid.  Is yours the same size as this one? did they come from a trinket set maybe?
m

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2012, 12:21:49 PM »
I don't understand your question Michelle!  Why not have the design on both parts, as does the Costebelle one I gave the link to above?  (You were the first to reply to my original post on this subject BTW!)  In my opinion, it's definitely too large (5" diameter) and heavy to be a trinket box.  Not only that, because the outside is smooth and shiny it could easily slip out of your hand.  I have come to the conclusion, though I could be wrong, that it is purely decorative and perhaps was made as a graduation piece, but I'd love to hear what others think about that.  In the meantime, here are some more pics.  (I wish I could find a way of showing the contours on the inside!)  Thanks for your interest Michelle (don't you want to look at my nice 'head  & shoulders paperweight - maybe I should change the title?)
Nancy

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2012, 01:57:38 PM »
Nancy I was just wondering if it was meant somehow to sit in a stand of some sort, kind of a raised support thing so you could see the base and the top.  I love it, but I'm still curious as to why the design is on the base and the lid, since if it sat on the base it could get damaged is what I mean.
I have kids home and on the computer so limited time to look at thread, but I've just seen 'Head and Shoulders' and he is absolutely wonderful - very envious.
m

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2012, 02:59:26 PM »
Oh, I think I see what you mean Michelle.  The whole thing could actually sit either way up as both 'poles' (north & south) are smooth and flat.  But the etching (or whatever it is) is on the inside anyway, so well protected from damage.

(Glad you like Mr Head & Shoulders - I think he's gorgeous!)
Nancy

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2012, 12:39:21 AM »
Hi Nancy, have you seen this listing?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120974191122

It just might be the same maker... who knows??

Rosie.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2012, 06:35:11 PM »
Hey Rosie . . . Thanks for the post. Yes, I had seen the glass baseball before but didn't really see it as very similar to my 'spherical object' except of course for the shape and that it is a bowl and lid. Everything else about it is completely different though, including the ball having the maker's mark. Do you think perhaps I'm being too dismissive?!  ???

I've not done much looking for glass since I started working (hurrah!) - too knackered! That and having no room left cos everything is covered in glass.  ::)

Nancy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand