No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Value of these avventurina pieces  (Read 4979 times)

Offline L.Loeb

• Members
Value of these avventurina pieces
« on: February 03, 2006, 10:54:54 PM »
Hi again, maybe i'll get this right yet.  I have some murano pieces that I will be putting up on ebay. They are labelled AVVENTURINO V.NASONeC.-MURANO ITALY. All three pieces are mint appear to be a bathroom set (soapdish,vase and covered powder dish). My elderly client purchased them in Italy in the 50's. http://tinypic.com/n46y6v.jpg http://tinypic.com/n470wy.jpg http://tinypic.com/n3x8jo.jpg

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 11:33:34 PM »
Hi Again L.
Yes you got it right. Congratulations and welcome to the board.
They reallly are beautiful pieces.
I have just the one, which you probably saw in the labels section.
We do have a Glass Market Place, it would be better if you placed these items there. Not everyone reads all of the sections.

:lol:  :lol:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline L.Loeb

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 11:42:21 PM »
Thank you Della. Yes I did notice your vase and I'm impressed at the quality of the picture.  I wish I could do that.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 03:19:18 AM »
My elderly client purchased them in Italy in the 50's

Della - that is an interesting quote ref the recent debate about dates of the 'Avventurina' and that label?

They are very beautiful L, can I ask if you are sure they are c1950s - not being rude, it's just there is a running debate at the moment on the date and attribution of Avventurina - many sources say that V Nason and Cie did not exist until Vincenzo left Venini in 1967 to set up on his own - even then the label/logo with V Nason and Cie /C. is said not to have come into use until the 1980s.

There is speculation that another V Nason is at play here (see thread and 'labels') or that the date range is incorrect.

Della this is still running in my head, I really want to pin a date on these somehow.

Can anyone help - e.g. Ivo? (see other posts)

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,3882.0.html
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1749.90.html

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 08:13:19 AM »
First mention in the trade directory of V. Nason as an independent company is from 1967; I think any mention of "1950s" should be treated with suspicion.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 09:25:57 AM »
Adam P,

I did notice the date quoted above, and was hoping you would pick up on it too.
Unfortunately I am one of those people who sometimes 'can't let sleeping dogs lie.' I have continued to search for myself, for more information.

I seems though, from what Ivo says, that it is more-than-likely to be dated to the late 60's, early 70's, which would account for the fantastic condition of most of these pieces.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 01:30:27 AM »
Thanks Della & Ivo

Ivo thanks for coming in on this - the information in your A-Z and on countless websites states 'V Nason and Cie did not exist until Vincenzo left Venini in 1967' to set up on his own

First mention in the trade directory of V. Nason as an independent company is from 1967

I just wonder at how information on Avventurina is so wrong everywhere, not just in books but in glass websites we recommend on GMB

I don't get annoyed for myself, but for the many people who think they are getting something older and more valuable than it is - some very good sources should know better

Anyway .......

Thanks - especially David (DenCill) for sticking to his guns and questioning the dubious attributions first off.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline L.Loeb

• Members
I stand corrected!!
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 04:24:05 AM »
Thank you all for setting me straight. I have spoken with the owner of these beautiful pieces and it appears as though she is a bit confused as to the dates of each piece as she has many.  After deliberating for a time she says that the date was probably 1973-75, but that she had purchased a blue with silver avventurina ashtray in 1953.  I apologize and thank you very much for the information. I will be more careful in the future.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 08:42:45 AM »
Hi L,

Please do not apologise. None of the comments about the dating of these pieces are aimed at you specifically. It is mentioned on many sites that these objects date from the 50's, however information given by others so far, proves this not to be so.

Please read this thread and you will understand where the comments arose from.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,3882.0.html

Thank you for questioning the owner further, it really helps to confirm what we have being trying to discover.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 11:55:40 AM »
Hi L

I back Della up on this, I meant to say that what ever the date your items are beautiful and valuable.

It was very good of you to ask about the dates again, that takes it into what seems the correct time frame.

In this sense you have made a valuable contribution to this thread.

I must apologise if I caused you any concern. It is the reference books, price guides, and commercial web sources I was aiming my comments at - this whole thread has been very informative and by adjusting your dates you have helped clear up a confusion in my mind once and for all.

Adam P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand