No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Waterford Cobalt Blue Vase ID = *Watford* not Waterford  (Read 5032 times)

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Waterford Cobalt Blue Vase ID = *Watford* not Waterford
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 12:54:11 AM »
My wife has a very mundane glass vase by Watford - nothing like a interesting as yours but it did get me googling and I came up with these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-WATFORD-Crystal-Wine-Spirit-Glass-Decanter-/160539646799 which has a most intersting bit embedded.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-WATFORD-Crystal-Wine-Spirit-Glass-Decanter-/160539646799 look at the Watford bit.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Ming

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 01:08:36 AM »
I did not know that this vase is in Nigel's book until he mentioned it.
The vase in full colour over a whole page in DK collector's Guides -20th Century Glass Page 158 and this is what it described; (Deep water clear and cobalt blue glass cased vase made by Waterford. The body is engraved an cut with swordfish swimming among rising bubbles and water plants c1960 (8.25")

Nigel: The vase you sold was it blue cased as well? Also my vase is only 8.25" high same as above but smaller than 10.5" mentioned in your book. Any comments.
Never walk away from a bargain

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 06:40:22 AM »
It became Waterford through a mistake that wasn't picked up until after printing in Jeanette Hayhurst and my catalogue on British cut glass "Art Deco to Post Modernism, A Legacy of British Art Deco Glass". The mistake is continued in other publications.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 06:56:38 AM »
Thought you might like to see a Watford Vase & Label
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 01:44:42 PM »

Funny, I thought that I'd said all that needed to be said on this subject (Deep Water vase), but it seems that I'm wrong! Scratch me too much and afraid I get a tad irascible, especially since the best way to learn is to deduce from the item and/or information that is in front of you  :o

Ming perhaps you should be looking at the common denominator between the two references (apart from the glass and the captions) then at least part of your confusion should disappear.......... some, at least, will work out what I am drawing attention to ;) Something that I am trying to be delicate about  8)

I'm afraid that I didn't feel it necessary to qualify what I said:
......I sold one as Webb Corbett, reasoning that the form was similar......
I assumed that it would be understood that it was the same as yours (and not like the clear one in the catalogue), since that is the subject of the thread.

The vases obviously came in two sizes (that we are aware of) 8 1/2 inch and 10 1/2 inch, or are you wondering whether someone has loped 2 inches off your example and the one illustrated in DK??????. It wouldn't surprise me if it came in other flashed colours, but I have no proof of that either (reference, similar shape to Webb Corbett above).

Nigel

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 01:50:32 PM »
Anne,

Mum's is Waterford as it was bought from them by an Irish auntie

Are you saying what I think you're saying??

Nigel

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2013, 07:13:38 PM »
I missed Nigel's reply above until a search picked up this topic again just now... Nigel I wasn't disputing you in any way, I was just really confirming that mum's wasn't Watford (it's not the same pattern, in case anyone was wondering). :) And the Irish auntie is an honorary one! :) Pic now attached for reference.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 07:25:48 AM »
http://www.glassassociation.co.uk/node/519

Deep Water was at the Glass Association web site with the notice about the Watford Crystal exhibit at the National Glass Fair last February.
Julie

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 09:21:54 AM »
Julie  -  oh why didn't you look at my Watford biscuit barrel earlier :'(  -  I gave it away thinking I'd never find a maker, although have to admit I was missing the lid.           Do you think if we ask Maurice very, very nicely, he'll part with his (only joking) :).          I had a feeling it was a good piece and at least I was almost right with the date.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,51583.msg292550.html#msg292550

P.S.   I might go and try to buy it back ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 09:27:14 AM »
ooopps, sorry - Harbridge, not Watford. :-[

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum