No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kosta Boda -- Signed ???  (Read 15538 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Kosta Boda -- Signed ???
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 06:23:28 AM »
I'm not sure how "exclusive" the Artist Collection was at this time.

Not. It was advertised with the slogan "become a collector" and the idea was that the wall cabinet they sold with it would be filled with the miniature versions of the larger Kosta designs.  I think there were around 30 different designs, each priced around 45 Euros.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 06:39:08 AM »
Ivo:

Are there a couple of different uses of the phrase "Artist Collection?"  For example, there is a 2000 catalogue from Kosta Boda entitled "The Artist Collection" that shows the full range of sizes available in their art glass.  At least in this catalogue the phrase doesn't apply to miniatures.  I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly, that the "Art. Coll." on this piece stands for Artist Collection.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 06:43:31 AM »
I think artistique collection is not the same as artist collection

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 07:09:21 AM »
Ivo:

I agree that  "artistique collection is not the same as artist collection."  Neither is "artistique collection" the same as what you wrote in your first post on this thread, "collection artistique."  That's the source of my question as I didn't see how "Art. Coll." came from "collection artistique." The times I've come across "Art. Coll." on a piece I've assumed it was from "Artist Collection," a term Kosta Boda have used over a number of years.

I'm not trying to be argumentative; I'm trying to find out an answer from someone who i think knows more than me.

David

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 08:10:52 AM »
it is not greatly helped by the fact my information on the miniatures comes from the French market where these were known as "collection artistique" and signed accordingly. I have three miniature items from this collection, all three signed either in full or as "col art" when there was no room to sign in full. Only one of these is from France, the others were found in Holland.

The Artist collection - as far as I know - is all glass for which a designer is indicated, as opposed to factory design tableware and anonymous items.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 08:54:43 AM »
http://www.stylendesign.com/modern/G892.html

Here is another miniature, but browsing around I'm not sure that Rose's jug is from the Bon Bon series.

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 09:01:43 AM »
it's a mini and several differnt were produced by several artists.

Artist collection(art coll) is just a name for glass with color.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 04:02:38 PM »
I'm not certain about the Bon Bon series, either, but it was the closest in the 2000 Catalogue that I could find. I went and dug out my 1994 Catalogue, and it's not quite there either, although the one in the link provided by Christine is there. (The number on the linked piece is 89060, as the 9 has been read as as 7, which makes no sense).  For me, the colours, the lines on the piece, and the shape that point towards Bon Bon. However, the Bon Bon jugs that are pictured in the 1994 and 2002 catalogues have pouring spouts, not a rim of coloured glass at the mouth.  

The 1994 Catalogues has quite a few small pieces, labelled either mini or miniature that are shown as part of the series.

Daniel:  I think that you're right about "Artist Collection" being partly based on colour, at least to begin with. In the 1986 catalogue there is a separate section near the end of the book headed "Artistic Collection."  All the pieces are by Vallien or Hydman-Vallien. They're described as "a little more adventurous, more avant-garde." By the time of the 2002 catalogue, everything is included in "The Artistic Collection."  Nine of the 41 series shown in the the 2002 "Artist Collection Catalogue" are clear. However the series were categorized in the catalogues, I don't know which ones had "Art. Coll" engraved on the bottom.

It's a lovely little piece whatever, Rose. And the price still can't be beat.

David

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 04:21:36 PM »
it's bon bon by the way. 100% sure about that. I have sold several while working at Boda.

Art.coll=That's what all told me while working there.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 05:32:47 PM »
From pages 280 & 281 of the Kosta Boda Book of Glass of 1986 :-

"The Artist Collection....Part of the main collection, these pieces are more adventurous, more avant-garde.  This is fantasy glass created by Bertil Vallien and Ulrica Hydman-Vallien.  It is spun from nature images, earth textures, sunset colors.  And it is a collection that can only improve with age"  There followed 12 ranges designed by BV or UHV or both, of which 27 pieces are described as miniatures plus 18 paperweights which one could describe as miniature compared to other pieces.

There is no way that it is restricted to coloured pieces.  Kjell Engman for instance had May, October, November & Nordic collections.  Monica Backstrom had Lamps & Zelda collections.  Bertil Vallien had the Rainbow collection.  All of these were either surface treated or coated in clear glass - but fully opaque.  None were part of the Artist Collection.  No mention of Bon Bon.

By 1992 the Artist Collection consisted of 22 ranges by 6 designers.  Your piece is described as follows "Bon Bon - Mini Bottle  Yellow/Orange 1/Box H: 4 3/4"  118mm   89061"  and it was handmade designed by Kjell Engman.

By 1998 the Artist Collection no longer existed in the 1998 Book, and neither was your bottle.

A final comment.  It seems that Bertil Vallien may have brought the idea of an Artist Collection over from Boda when the merger took place.  See phots of a small vase that at a later date would be "Antikva" one of the Artist Collections in the 1986 book.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand