No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: NY Times on Murano Glass Industry  (Read 7659 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: NY Times on Murano Glass Industry
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 01:48:22 PM »
Something I'm noticing is there is a greater turn toward flamework in Murano. This makes so much sense, given the cost of energy. I don't know how big the flamework business is there, but I am hearing more of the people who do it.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 02:04:01 PM »
Try comparing the cost of a fabulous piece of glass by a master - and a fairly ordinary (but good)  painting by somebody you've never heard of. The glass is likely to cost less.
Glass has not yet found its proper place in the "echelons" of art.

I can understand building hotels on the island - but why ghastly anonymous multinational chain ones?

Why not try to encourage small local and individual businesses?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 08:32:14 PM »
It's good that the furnaces have moved to the mainland as it was just too expensive to keep producing on the island. Everything had to be imported, mind you, everything and then it all had to be exported including all the waste and garbage. Transportaion costs had to be enormous and it wasn't possible to bring any well sized boats to the island for shipping. Every time you have to move a box it gets to be expensive. As I recall they were not setup to handle 40' containers coming directly from the island, but that may have changed in recent years. I had also heard that some of the furnaces had been purchased by Chinese financial groups. They have lots of cash and in the long run it may help sustain the production of glass in the area. Trying to get all the gas and electricity to the island had to get more difficult and costly every year. The world's wealth is changing locations and so with it goes the market for luxury goods including glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand