No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ysart Bros Paperweight  (Read 896 times)

Offline zidori

• Members
Ysart Bros Paperweight
« on: June 05, 2011, 09:39:37 AM »
I bought this recently for my collection, suspecting it to be Ysart Brothers. Now that it has been delivered, it looks even better than I had anticipated and has an interesting central cane. I cannot make out what the symbol is in the centre of the cane, or maybe it isn't anything specific and just part of the make-up of the cane. Can anyone please help?
Thanks in anticipation
Ronnie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Ysart Bros Paperweight
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 03:38:56 PM »
To know whether this is Ysart Brothers period or later, you would have to check it out with a short wave uv light. Ysart Brothers weights were soda-based and do not react as blue under short wave uv.

From the images I suspect this is a Vasart Ltd weight as it has a cleaner base finish. Ysart Brothers work mostly had rough grinding marks.

The centre of the central cane is just a distortion of what was probably an eight-point star pattern.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand