No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb; tightly controlled bubble base "Studio" style vase  (Read 1745 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Webb; tightly controlled bubble base "Studio" style vase
« on: June 05, 2011, 03:30:41 PM »
I found this beast on my "travels" yesterday. It surprised me a bit.
The mark, "Webb England" puts it between 1950 and 1966, but Hajdamach puts this series of vases, the "Flair Collection",  in 1962. (p. 302, the 20th century book)
However, the text then gets confusing. It describes the technique used - that of the "wet-stick", steam from which was used to make the holes in the vessels.
all ok so far..... but, then he says; "Plain items were known as Haze, bubbled items as "Blue Galaxy".
Now, I'm aware he's referring tothe first colour to be produced at the time, which was blue.

Would this be described as "Golden Amber Galaxy", do folk think?

Beautifully made beast, the controlled bubbles are very well controlled - and the epicentre of the spiral of bubbles is actually deep inside the vase - there is an internal "raised" dome of clear glass in the bottom - the smallest bubbles cover this dome, then are sort of turned "inside-out", to sweep around the outside walls of the vessel.

The base has been cut and polished, to make it flat - it also has a round polished pontil mark - and on the flat cuts, the insides of some of the controlled bubbles are exposed.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Webb; tightly controlled bubble base "Studio" style vase
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 03:59:31 PM »
hello Sue............did you have troubles with the pictures?? ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 04:06:40 PM »
Yes, Paul, I did. This post was taking its time to appear, so I left it to get on and I went back to my email inbox, found another thread I was chatting in and put a post there - in through a completely different widow and connection, but, ta-da!

all my pics appeared there, in a wrong forum (Glass), in somebody else's thread.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 04:07:33 PM »
last one
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 04:26:33 PM »
so sorry you having problems still - but like the piece of Webb's - very desireable. :mrgreen:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 04:50:21 PM »
 :-[
It's not my sort of thing at all, but I could tell it was beautifully made, complex, and of an unusual period of Webb markings - I just wasn't sure what, until I got it home and checked my books (with a little help from John). I've certainly never seen a bit of Webb in this '60s Studio range "in vitro" before.
Certainly a piece of distiction, fairly iconic of it's time, a desirable "female torso" shape in Webb's popular Golden amber.  :smg:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand