No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pewter Grey Caithness Vase  (Read 1506 times)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
Pewter Grey Caithness Vase
« on: June 02, 2011, 05:51:16 PM »
Ribbed vase in pewter grey - looks like Wedgwood by Thrower - but has Caithness sticker to top - 5.5" high

Any idea of designer and date

Thanks Adam

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Re: Pewter Grey Caithness Vase
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 11:40:35 AM »
Hi Adam

I have checked Mark Hills book but cannot find any mention of anything like this. The label is identified as an 80's label - that is all I can offer !
would be interested to know if you find out any more

JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 07:08:21 PM »
I actually picked this up from my Sister's house who died recently - that aside, I can't but get the feeling that it isn't Caithness - it looks like Kings Lynn or Wedgwood to me or Dartington - anyone search that and confirm?

JAK what about the gold mica and purple glass piece I posted along side this, is that in the book? - it has the right label on it and feels right.

Thanks Adam

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 12:57:41 AM »
Hi Adam
sorry - must have missed the thread re the bowl - have been having computer troubles recently

The bowl is definitely Caithness , I have two of them, one with its label. I have pink and amethyst, and I have seen them in green too.

see this thread here  http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,33748.msg182571.html#msg182571

didn't find anything definite about them thought, and they are not in the book  - but they may be more recent than the period the book covers.
re your vase - I have quite a collection of Wedgwood Stennett Willson vases, and don't think it is from his era  but didn't collect the Frank Thrower Wedgwood stuff (don't like the colour) so possibly his era - have not seen that shape before though, and the Dartington First 20 years book I have does cover Thrower's Wedgwood designs too and there is nothing similar in there either. Sorry - cannot help with that one.
Have you done a search of this site ? either for Caithness or Wedgwood? you may find a match previously mentioned like the bowls?

regards, JAK

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand