No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mainly clear big vase with Mstisov?-coloured lenses ID = Karlovarske Sklo  (Read 5344 times)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Robert:  Thanks, I was surprised and pleased at the attribution. Not to disparage modern Chribska (at least in public), but this is a much better quality piece in every way.  It was one of those pieces that whisper insistently, "You may not know who or what I am but buy me now and I'll enrich your life."

Anik:  Well spotted. I had looked over that page within the last couple of months and it didn't jump out at me. THey're not the same. However, there are enough similarities between the pieces in there and my vase to make me think that it's quite likely they were the forerunners of the my current piece and of the candlestick in the other thread.  They would also suggest that Oldřich Lipa was the designer of both. I'm happy with that.

Many thanks, o-sharp-eyed one.

David

PS  Have a look at my new listing to Picasa later today. A nice Beranek bowl, but in a colour you won't like, and a wonderful 'Albatros' vase by Metelak for Harrachov. Perhaps you won't like it, but, my, is it impressive.

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
David, I very much like your new Beranek bowl! That pinkish-brownish-salmony colour looks just fine in hotworked pieces  (not so fine in pressed pieces).  I don't like the 'albatros' vase, though... just too much going on with it.  

:kissy:

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Anik:

I can see why you might not like the 'Albatros' in terms of aesthetics. However, the technique is very impressive.  The Beranek is fine in every way. Both found in Canada, btw.

David

Offline assaf

• Members
Hi to all the good people here on this thread.
Although this thread is 3 years old, I feel i must add my two cents of thanks to you all, as this thread helped me to identify my recent purchase of a vase of this range. The funny thing is that while reading all the thread, I got such a strong feeling of 'this is about me, isn't it?'. All the range of questions and assumptions I made about my vase seemed to be described in here. Just as you, David, I bought with the 'I don't know what it is, but I know it is good' feeling. Just as you, I also suspected Karlovarske Sklo, and just like you, I was disappointed when reading the other thread in which it was identified it as modern Chribska. Just as you, I was delighted to know it is a karlovarske Sklo/Moser production, and to have the verification that my first hunch was correct.
Usually I am a silent reader in this forum, but I really think that this time I must step in and thank you all - David, Robert, Jhon and Anik, as well as glassobsessed.
Best Regards,
Assaf

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Well done Assaf!

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Welcome, Assaf. 

Thanks for your kind words and you've found a very nice piece. Coincidently, today I saw a piece from this range with a Karlovarske Sklo label on it. That's a first for me.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand